the Big Wasp Survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine that if the RSPB advocated catching and killing birds in their analogous annual bird watch there'd be an almighty outcry!

Birds are not wasps - I am sure you are aware of that - you cant just compare between the two.

Monitoring without killing isn't positive? Okay.

You haven't offered an alternative method. "Taking Photos" isn't enough detail to compare with the plan in place.

Ahhh! That sounds like some of the monopolistic speak I hear from Unis.

Thank you for your kind words - though I am not sure how asking for you better method of collecting this data is "monopolistic", I would say it is the opposite. Maybe research the words you use before typing them?

Birds are not wasps - I am sure you are aware of that - you cant just compare between the two.

? I'm not comparing species - just the method of monitoring. There's absolutely no justification for killing wasps to monitor them.

You haven't offered an alternative method. "Taking Photos" isn't enough detail to compare with the plan in place.

You haven't digested my previous post properly. Wasps are creatures of habit meaning that they do things repetitively year after year. So each year wasps will visit untreated timber such as fence panels to pulp for wood. In such a static condition they are easy to count and photograph. Likewise when they sweet feed off Ivy bushes. There is absolutely no need to kill them to monitor their distribution or to identify them.

There's also no need to expose members of the public to health risks. I wonder if the Big Wasp Survey would take any responsibility if any of the participants suffered anaphylaxis as a direct result of getting involved in handling wasps directly?

Thank you for your kind words - though I am not sure how asking for you better method of collecting this data is "monopolistic", I would say it is the opposite. Maybe research the words you use before typing them?

Proof of concept is not normal colloquial language - more like the language monopolized by 'scientists'. You haven't answered the question who we is? If you have some skin in the design of the Big Wasp Survey then we can have a debate in detail. If on the other hand you are another reincarnation of nigel as suggested by some then that changes the complexion of the debate.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
If on the other hand you are another reincarnation of nigel as suggested by some then that changes the complexion of the debate.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You are only paranoid if the barstewards are really out to get you.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Big Wasp Survey would take any responsibility if any of the participants suffered anaphylaxis as a direct result of getting involved in handling wasps directly?

You mean in the same way as the BBKA and Bee farmers association takes direct responsibility for any of it's members who suffer anaphylaxis as a result of getting involved in handling bees directly?

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::calmdown:

? I'm not comparing species

erm...you are comparing.

You haven't digested my previous post properly. Wasps are creatures of habit meaning that they do things repetitively year after year. So each year wasps will visit untreated timber such as fence panels to pulp for wood. In such a static condition they are easy to count and photograph. Likewise when they sweet feed off Ivy bushes. There is absolutely no need to kill them to monitor their distribution or to identify them.

I don't understand why this is relevant in the points I have raised so far, this feels like a diversion tactic.

There's also no need to expose members of the public to health risks. I wonder if the Big Wasp Survey would take any responsibility if any of the participants suffered anaphylaxis as a direct result of getting involved in handling wasps directly?

You will be at a greater risk taking photos of wasps than using a wasp trap -FACT.

Proof of concept is not normal colloquial language - more like the language monopolized by 'scientists'. You haven't answered the question who we is? If you have some skin in the design of the Big Wasp Survey then we can have a debate in detail. If on the other hand you are another reincarnation of nigel as suggested by some then that changes the complexion of the debate.

Why are you so aggressive when someone uses scientific terms yet you use so many yourself, does it threaten you?

I was hoping we could have a debate and work out a better solution to monitoring wasps. But you have not put a better idea out there. You need to come up with something that is better than "take photos".

The advantages of a wasp trap is that anyone can put one up and no matter how small your garden you can collect data. It is very cheap to do and require very little work for the operator. Also it will attract wasps to places they do not repetitively visit. People can collect data without being at risk of being stung. The trap does the work in all weathers and collects objective data.

I am a new member of the forum. I am not this nigel ?? Also i am not part of the Big Wasp Survey. This thread isn't about me.

My first name is Nigel. Some were late catching on.
For reasons that escape them they think I am multiple persons on this forum.
Sorry you had to get caught up with this.

Last edited:

Hello Nigel,

Seems like a compliment to me, I have read many of your posts and found them all helpful and informative - without having the ego of some of the other members.

If people think I am you then I must be doing something right.

Thank you Nigel - keep it up!

Thank you for the compliment Karol ;-)

If people think I am you then I must be doing something right.

Quite a compliment, my cheeks are flushed.

Alas you are dealing with a seasonal troll to the forum, bit like wasps really they are only irritating for a short period of the year.

For reasons that escape them they think I am multiple persons on this forum.
Sorry you had to get caught up with this.

Oh bless,
Reasons that escape?
What a laugh, you were banned as thymallus and banned as truble and you try to accuse other posters as being trolls. It was only a matter of time before this thread blew up, but no surprise to anyone.

It was only a matter of time before this thread blew up, but no surprise to anyone.
And your contribution to the thread being??? Oh yes...I see nothing wasp related just have yet another dig at me....laughable really.
If you had bothered to read the posts you will notice I totally refrained from any reply to any of this thread until Karol ridiculously alluded I was Ejackson in disguise.
Karol's inaccuracies in this needed to be put right before we lose yet another poster to the forum trolls and bully boys...
So sad.

before we lose yet another poster to the forum trolls and bully boys...
So sad.

It doesn’t matter who is who in the grander order of things but what sort of new forum member (Mr Jackson?) posts twice one day then the following day starts a thread about banned posters and how awful some of us are here.
Somebody who has been here before or somebody who already is?
Or maybe he has lurked here for a while and decided that it was now time he sorted us all out?
Just sayin’

Somebody who has been here before or somebody who already is?
Just sayin’

And I get fed up of being accused of having multiple current identities by the usual trolls...Just clearing the air so there is no further misunderstanding.
An if anyone is unsure about this then I will refer them to Hivemaker who knows exactly who I am.

Last edited:
And I get fed up of being accused of having multiple current identities by the usual trolls...Just clearing the air so there is no further misunderstanding.
An if anyone is unsure about this then I will refer them to Hivemaker who knows exactly who I am.

I’m not accusing you of anything
Life’s too short.
I do wonder about Mr Jackson’s motives though. And that is simply an idle thought

Considering the conspiracy theories surrounding multiple personae it would be quite simple for Pete to refute them unless, of course, he likes playing games with us all

<snip>
If you had bothered to read the posts you will notice I totally refrained from any reply to any of this thread until Karol ridiculously alluded I was Ejackson in disguise.
<snip>.

I didn't allude to anything. You took the bait and 'outed' yourself.

Blimey!
Men!
Both of you!
A sensible woman would have shrugged her shoulders and walked away
There’s more to life than willie waving

My motive is to make friends and talk to like minded beekeepers. Though this is not my thread or a thread about me. I suggest if you want to know more about me drop me a message or even created an ejackson thread and we can explore me and the conspiracy theories in more detail.

Latest posts

Back