Tapping the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I often see people saying you should not tap the hive during the winter to see if you can hear the bees, does once a week tap really make that much difference?
I have galv plate on the roof's of my hive's and I am sure when it rains / hails it must disturb the bees. My point being once a week tap surely doesn't make a difference with all the rain we have,

Interested in people's opinions.

Why would you tap the hive once a week? I doubt it would cause a problem but can't see the need for weekly visits to an apiary in winter.

Why would you tap the hive once a week? I doubt it would cause a problem but can't see the need for weekly visits to an apiary in winter.

I don't tap my hive once a week TBH I don't tap at all, but I often see people saying tapping the hive is a no no, just trying to understand if I did need to know if my bees were still alive would tapping actually cause them any harm.

BTW I make daily visits to my apairy as its at the bottom of the garden bee-smilliebee-smillie

just trying to understand if I did need to know if my bees were still alive would tapping actually cause them any harm.

Doubt the tap would do much harm, but Why disturb them for no good reason? If you really must check to see if they're alive, just put your ear to the side of the brood box, or to make it easier buy a cheap stethoscope.

Now there's tapping and tapping

I whack mine with a log splitter once per week, and i must say i have done a good job making them, as they have not turned into kindle yet.

Ha Ha to you both.

I don't actually tap mine ( well not very often) but have seen on a few occasions people saying it a no no and the other nigh whilst in bed and it lashing down made me think about how the bees would be reacting at the time.

Apart from occasional weighing (or hefting when lazy) and occasional viewing entrance holes to ensure they are not blocked, I do nothing all winter..

Apart from occasional weighing (or hefting when lazy) and occasional viewing entrance holes to ensure they are not blocked, I do nothing all winter..

I don't know if you have open mesh floors, i do on my hive and if i get on my knees i can look underneath from the back of the hive and clearly see whats dead and if the entrance is ok.

I don't know if you have open mesh floors, i do on my hive and if i get on my knees i can look underneath from the back of the hive and clearly see whats dead and if the entrance is ok.

When you get to my age, going down on my knees is:
- something I rarely do (apart from in yoga).
- something I don't want to do.
-noisy - as my knees creak
- occasionally painful to get up from.

and a waste of time as i cannot get my head under the board as the hive stand prevents me.. and even if I did, my eyes will not focus well enough to see beyond the varroa screen.

But then I'm old and cranky :paparazzi:

and a waste of time as i cannot get my head under the board as the hive stand prevents me.. and even if I did, my eyes will not focus well enough to see beyond the varroa screen.

Well that is my idea out of the window. :xmas-smiley-016: you could use a mirror taped to the end of a bamboo ..

Well .. That's two of us then !! But at least I've still got all my fingers ! :icon_204-2:

Well .. That's two of us then !! But at least I've still got all my fingers ! :icon_204-2:

It's what you do with them that counts, not how many you have.. (said the Duchess)

:serenade:

That was very low and I am mortally offended... and will flounce off..and back again :icon_204-2:

you could use a mirror taped to the end of a bamboo ..

Still got my purpose built official issue one in the shed - telescopic handle et all. Invented apparently by an enterprising Thames Custom officer using a war surplus telescopic tank aerial and a compact mirror.

Still got my purpose built official issue one in the shed - telescopic handle et all. Invented apparently by an enterprising Thames Custom officer using a war surplus telescopic tank aerial and a compact mirror.

I think I can see a beekeeping marketing opprotunity here JBM... an extending rod with a mirror on one end for under hive inspections and a pick up tool on the other end for picking it up when you drop it .. now if you can find a way of putting a magnifying glass in the middle we have the elderly beekeepers equivalent of the swiss army knife !

I think I can see a beekeeping marketing opprotunity here JBM... an extending rod with a mirror on one end for under hive inspections and a pick up tool on the other end for picking it up when you drop it .. now if you can find a way of putting a magnifying glass in the middle we have the elderly beekeepers equivalent of the swiss army knife !

I've got a swiss army knife.. and lots of spare tools..

I could do with a "pick up tool"..:spy:

Just realised I have two rummage mirrors here somewhere - one was a prototype all singing all dancing one from 1996 with a built in torch in the shaft!! Could be handy for midnight queen stealing!!!!:leaving:

Latest posts

Back