Syrup bottle feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
I am considering making a viewing hive in the future, the one I have seen had a bottle of syrup inverted into a hole on the top of the hive. I have looked thro plenty of threads and you tube to no avail, can anyone help???? a plan would be very helpful.

I am considering making a viewing hive in the future, the one I have seen had a bottle of syrup inverted into a hole on the top of the hive. I have looked thro plenty of threads and you tube to no avail, can anyone help???? a plan would be very helpful.

i tried this and the feed hole in the crown board of a few Nuc was drilled to the extact size of a schweppes Tonic Bottle ( seemed to have few empty one around Hic)

i then used a modeler's drill to make about 30 holes in a bottle cap...ok it worked, i could even feed using the same bottle top with a 2 liter coco cola bottle of syrup and i gould easly see the ones that needed topping up

Then it rained, think it is ok in USA with predictable weather but my bees did not like rain seeping into the nuc and making the brood area wet...defeats the object building a deep feeding enclosure

wont the syrup drip onto the frames???? what size holes pin size ?????? :thanks: :thanks:

Ah have just seen thread regarding hole size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thanks:

wont the syrup drip onto the frames???? what size holes pin size ?????? :thanks: :thanks:

no, it is the same principle as a standard inverted contact feeder, you fill it up to the top and invert it, a vacumm forms and the syrup stays , a little spills as the vaccum forms

normally for top up feed i use an inverted honey jar with about ten to twenty nail holes punched in it, fill it TO THE TOP and invert ( having screwed the lid on tightly that is)
i used a 0.5mm drill on my bottle but a 1mm drill would do but i dont advise the bottles though as it is two high

try it with an empty jam jar

seen similar with pin holes hole in a sealed poly bag but would not trust that method as the invert honey or jam jar works well and fits in an empty super

Last edited:
Ah have just seen thread regarding hole size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thanks:

you could also go for the honey jar contact feeder lids sold by the major retailer,,,nice white and look a bit more professional is showing off the hive

On my ulster observation hive, i us an internal frame feeder in repalcle for the frame brought up into the the upper viewing chamber

Dishmop might have views as he i think still runs an observation hive at home

see these obsevation hives at LASI uni of Sussex

Last edited:
Most appreciated thank you. :thanks: :thanks:

It is a toy. 50 years ago bottle was "official" feeding system, but it is childrens toy actually.

Get a good feeder and it lasts rest of your life.

Plastic top feeder £ 12. Not bad price.

.http://****************.co.uk/shop/plastic-top-feeder/

Finman it wouldn't open

Back