Swarmy National with chalkbrood and another a National with a queen getting through QE.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 (3 National and 1 wbc)
Just inspected my “swarmy” National which has a drone laying queen.No laying workers as no multiple eggs found just single eggs.
I was going to unite the remainder with a stronger hive but I have noticed some chalkbrood which is nowhere else in the other 4 hives. The marked queen was seen.
I am now considering the following options
1) Not unite this chalkbrood colony as I would spread disease.
2) Just let the colony die out as it’s mostly drones.
3) Remove the 2 frames with chalkbrood and replace with fresh comb and add 3 deep frames of sealed brood with nurse bees and a newly caged mated queen to form a new Nuc, then char/burn out and clean the National for future use.

Another National hive seems to be congested as I can see them all blocking up the entrance over the mesh floor.
Have added a super for more ventilation but no improvement.
This inspection showed freshly sealed brood on in the honey super on top of the queen excluder.
I found the queen in the deep brood nest on the bottom of a 1 and 1/2 brood nest.
The bees in the deep brood have hatched but queen not laying in there.
The deep brood nest frames now black comb so later today I am going to replace 6 frames with new deep frame comb to encourage her to go into the deep brood nest box and swap the hive bodies around.
Is it common for a caged mated queen introduced in mid July to get through a wired Queen excluder?
Should I replace her?

The question for the first part is..... are either of options 2) or 3) a good idea?

Chalkbrood is endemic. It is said the best treatment is to re queen, so I would just kill the DLQ and unite, or as you say buy in a new queen. I would also improve the ventilation in the hive, if needed. I see a bit of chalkbrood in several hives in spring, and do not take much notice as it clears as the weather picks up

Just inspected my “swarmy” National which has a drone laying queen.No laying workers as no multiple eggs found just single eggs.
I was going to unite the remainder with a stronger hive but I have noticed some chalkbrood which is nowhere else in the other 4 hives. The marked queen was seen.
I am now considering the following options
1) Not unite this chalkbrood colony as I would spread disease.
2) Just let the colony die out as it’s mostly drones.
3) Remove the 2 frames with chalkbrood and replace with fresh comb and add 3 deep frames of sealed brood with nurse bees and a newly caged mated queen to form a new Nuc, then char/burn out and clean the National for future use.

Another National hive seems to be congested as I can see them all blocking up the entrance over the mesh floor.
Have added a super for more ventilation but no improvement.
This inspection showed freshly sealed brood on in the honey super on top of the queen excluder.
I found the queen in the deep brood nest on the bottom of a 1 and 1/2 brood nest.
The bees in the deep brood have hatched but queen not laying in there.
The deep brood nest frames now black comb so later today I am going to replace 6 frames with new deep frame comb to encourage her to go into the deep brood nest box and swap the hive bodies around.
Is it common for a caged mated queen introduced in mid July to get through a wired Queen excluder?
Should I replace her?
Others have spoken about chalkbrood options but I'll add you need to VERY carefully inspect your wired queen excluder for a bent wire!

Chalkbrood is endemic. It is said the best treatment is to re queen, so I would just kill the DLQ and unite, or as you say buy in a new queen. I would also improve the ventilation in the hive, if needed. I see a bit of chalkbrood in several hives in spring, and do not take much notice as it clears as the weather picks up
Thanks for advice

Others have spoken about chalkbrood options but I'll add you need to VERY carefully inspect your wired queen excluder for a bent wire!
I never thought of the wires being bent as they were really sturdy thick rounded wires.
I will look next week at my next inspection as I needed to see if the queen had nipped back up the QE again.
Thanks for that advice.

Back