Swarming....what method?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have direct experience and confidence in the Taranov board AS method?

It certainly appears the most elegant.

I've seen the images and videos and it struck me a simple swarm box could easily be incorporated into the original scheme making the transfer of them to their new home even easier.

'Elegant' in that it appears there is little special equipment needed and the it's left to the bees to do what they do naturally.

Does anyone have direct experience and confidence in the Taranov board AS method?

It certainly appears the most elegant.

It is a mere board, along which the bees walk to the hive.
If you put couple of dry twings stand agains the entrance, bees walk as well into the hive. That is a sustainable alternative and makes less carbon diokside into the atmosphere.

I have taken from rubbish bin a roll curtain. I shake bees on it and they walk into the hive. Using newspaper sheets is very handy too.

Last edited:
It is a mere board, along which the bees walk to the hive.
If you put couple of dry twings stand agains the entrance, bees walk as well into the hive. That is a sustainable alternative and makes less carbon diokside into the atmosphere.

I have taken from rubbish bin a roll curtain. I shake bees on it and they walk into the hive. Using newspaper sheets is very handy too.

Yes thats obvious but do you have direct experience of using some sort of board, twigs, (time factor?) log, sheet or whatever and leaving the 100mm gap as per Taranov and then rehousing the bees that don't cross it?

Is it OK to go double brood with 14x12.

I demaree with 14x12 but do it around March as my Welsh blacks are getting congested in poly hives. If you don't like the weight have a nuc box by the side of you. But I demaree for increase, although the new queens now are looking more like Buckfast in colour, changing from dark to tan. Then again for 2 years I had them in a highly populated Buckfast area.

I asked for sensible comment.

You didn't actually say, "sensible comments only."
I didn't mean it to sound flippant and I'm sorry you took it that way. I don't consider shaking a whole colony out onto a board in front of a hive elegant except in the way you qualified, I suppose.

Yes thats obvious but do you have direct experience of using some sort of board, twigs, (time factor?) log, sheet or whatever and leaving the 100mm gap as per Taranov and then rehousing the bees that don't cross it?

Only 54 years experience. All kind of boards, but not Taranov's

Just now I have in most hives a landing board, which is a piece of ply standing on ground. I shake bees in front of entrance. Never on the neck of another bees on frames.Then bees walk into the hives. If weather is too cold, I put a sheet of newspaper over the bees.

I have handled hundres of swarms during my life, and never needed Taranov's board.

You didn't actually say, "sensible comments only."
I didn't mean it to sound flippant and I'm sorry you took it that way. I don't consider shaking a whole colony out onto a board in front of a hive elegant except in the way you qualified, I suppose.

Apology accepted.

Gotta be more elegant than some of the more 'agricultural' schemes though IMHO.

Only 54 years experience. All kind of boards, but not Taranov's

Just now I have in most hives a landing board, which is a piece of ply standing on ground. I shake bees in front of entrance. Never on the neck of another bees on frames.Then bees walk into the hives. If weather is too cold, I put a sheet of newspaper over the bees.

I have handled hundres of swarms during my life, and never needed Taranov's board.

Ok thanks, sounds like your board standing on the ground, if you moved it away 100mm and used it for AS would be very similar to the Taranov scheme.

Maybe if you don't want people to comment - or don't like the answers given it's you who should 'STFU' ?

It's people like you make these forums soooo welcoming.

Look If you agree never to comment on my posts, I will do the same for you.

Deal?

Now where's that ignore button . . . .

Last edited:
Back