Swarming from an A/S

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi Q

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I A/S'ed a hive 4 days ago. Today, from the part where the Q is with flying bees and foundation, they attempted to swarm. Why would that happen? I saw her on the ground in front of the hive and slipped her back into the hive. All the bees went back in after a lot of nasenov fanning. I put in a frame of brood from the other part of the A/S and a drawn brood frame. It is very frustrating, why don't the bees do what they are supposed to do!
:confused:

Did you introduce a hidden queen cell inadvertently?

Timing is about right for a QC if you put in the frame of brood at the time of the AS.

/ Have you looked through the hive for a Sealed QC since putting them back in?

This happened to us last year. The day after we had carried out an AS they swarmed and there were no queen cells.

Sometimes, they just want the real thing ;)

Jc

Timing is about right for a QC if you put in the frame of brood at the time of the AS.

/ Have you looked through the hive for a Sealed QC since putting them back in?

I don't think there was a queen cell on the frame the Q was on, but I'll have another quick look tomorrow. If there is, just remove it? Or possibly make up a nuc with it?
There was a sealed queen cell in the other half of the A/S, it didn't look right, too smooth, broke it down and there was nothing in it except for some royal jelly at the bottom. I have left one open Q cell, at least I think I have, although this Q cell was started after the Q was took out, on face of comb, so emergency? Unfortunately, because the swarm cells were at the bottom of the comb I had damaged them when inspecting on Monday.

I don't think there was a queen cell on the frame the Q was on, but I'll have another quick look tomorrow. If there is, just remove it? Or possibly make up a nuc with it?

You've got to start earlier than the bees!

Yes. ( :) )

Regarding the Q- part.
If they generate a good new queen, fine. If not just recombine.
The essence of the thing is to thwart the current attempt at a swarm. And thus not lose any bee-power.
Of course, after recombining around the old queen, they may try to swarm again, so you can repeat the whole rigamarole!

Yep, same thing with one lot last year.... 5 days after and no QCs. Luckily though, I managed to nab them from a tree and boxed them up some way distant. Once that fever is upon them......

Did you shake everyone off the brood comb that went with the Queen? They're very crafty when it comes to hiding QCs under bodies. :)

Hope they stay put for you this time, and fingers crossed for Her New Majesty.

Such happens. If bees do not start to draw foundations, you may wait that they have something in their mind.

Galileo, no I didn't shake the frame the Q was on, well because the Q was on it! I thought she either might fly off or I might damage her. But I did give the bees a blow to move them about, and because I found her on a super frame (brood + half) I thought I had had a good look.
I have a theory:rolleyes:...I think the bees started their swarm preps. because of lack of space (for the Q to lay eggs), and so what do I do? put her into a big box but with nowhere to lay eggs. Comb wasn't drawn quick enough for the queen to continue laying, so they swarmed again because of lack of space.. anyway just a theory!

You've got to start earlier than the bees!

Yes. ( :) )

Regarding the Q- part.
If they generate a good new queen, fine. If not just recombine.
The essence of the thing is to thwart the current attempt at a swarm. And thus not lose any bee-power.
Of course, after recombining around the old queen, they may try to swarm again, so you can repeat the whole rigamarole!

Am I not losing bee-power now, in terms of honey making? The A/S part is, hopefully, drawing comb, and then raising brood, and the brood part just looks as though its not doing anything, with a lot of drones hanging about. With the demarree swarm control with both parts in the same hive and sharing the super/s, does the colony continue making honey?

Hi Suzi q
We have gone over to demaree method and yes they do continue to work, filling the supers. So you shouldn't have a lose in honey production because all the flying bees still have access to the supers, also if they do raise a queen cell in the top brood box you have a source of queens if needed.

C

Hi Suzi q
We have gone over to demaree method and yes they do continue to work, filling the supers. So you shouldn't have a lose in honey production because all the flying bees still have access to the supers, also if they do raise a queen cell in the top brood box you have a source of queens if needed.

C

don't mix honey production and cutting swarming fever.
Demaree does not help. It is same as AS.

Essential is that the swarm draw the foundations and after a week it has lost its swarming ideas.

Then you should stop swarming in brood hives and they are not leaving.

Finally, to get yield hiveparts must be joined that age of forager bees and nurser bees are in balance.

It is good if the hive has a young queen after operation. With old queen swarming fever will arouse again, perhaps, or not.

I have had this happen using a angel grove board for an AS . Now I put a QE under the new BB for a few days so that the Queen cannot escape for a few days.. This seems to work for me

I have had this happen using a angel grove board for an AS . Now I put a QE under the new BB for a few days so that the Queen cannot escape for a few days.. This seems to work for me

Hi CB008, That's what I was thinking!

Galileo, no I didn't shake the frame the Q was on, well because the Q was on it! I thought she either might fly off or I might damage her.....

Ah, in that case, wise. I keep a goose feather for brushing frames that shouldn't be shaken (as above or with unsealed QCs) - much better tolerated than a "bee brush". As to your theory, you may well be right. As the above poster suggests, a QX under the BB for a few days worked for me. As soon as they're into drawing, they're usually dun roamin. :)

Goose feathers are hard to come by in London! I have been using a bunch of grass tied up with a bit of string, seems to work OK.

Am I not losing bee-power now, in terms of honey making? ...

I'd say you've lifted your foot off the throttle, but not having lost any bees to a swarm, you still have the 'power' available -- you can get right back on the throttle when you recombine.

That's a relief, just checked to see if there were any Q cells in the A/S, there isn't but the bees have made another 6/7 play cups on the bottom of the frame, with eggs inside. They sound happy, quiet hum, and they look like they are hanging to make wax. I am feeding them 1:1 and they are taking it nicely. I suppose I must check them in another few days, to see if they have given up the idea of swarming?

Latest posts

Back