Swarm wiped out by fire extinguisher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Heard this week about a swarm, spread over a brick garden wall. It was destroyed by someone with a fire extinguisher. Apparently he thought they were wasps. Gutted about this.

I had a one of my hives swarm and I managed to do a kind of staccato Taranov split. Mid swarm I rushed out and they had spread over the pavement but not before swirling around the heads of the builders opposite. My neighbour, who owns the house and is a builder, threatened to pour petrol over them. I had to get him to give me 10 minutes to clear them and he calmed down when they all walked into the hive I put next to them.people can get really alarmed and frightened by swarms I've found.

Heard this week about a swarm, spread over a brick garden wall. It was destroyed by someone with a fire extinguisher. Apparently he thought they were wasps. Gutted about this.

I hope it was a foam one..Lots of mess to clean up.

Last season I had one school caretaker put a fire hose onto a nice prime swarm and cause chaos... he got stung several times... and another nutter who claimed to be a beekeeper apparently empty a CO2 fire extinguisher down a chimney... also walking along the roof capping tiles breaking quite a few... then placed a Duck tape cap over the chimney, telling the home owner that he had to dash off to a meeting ... never to return!

Sadly to sort this mess out the home owner then called in a pesty who killed the colony with a canister of ??? FiCam B??

We here of too many tales of boddged swarm collections every year !!

Yeghes da

We beekeepers should be educating the public about what to do if they see a swarm. We've put easy to follow information on our C0nwy Beekeepers website about Nuisance Bees. http://tinyurl.com/plz3vmc Other BKA's could do the same.

its rather like telling people not to send money to Prince Bongo so he can pay his bank to send you $5 mil.......Been happening for years and the victims say they have never heard about it........why? becuase they dont listen to stuff that doesnt interest them.........The brain stops working.....Go out on the street and ask 50 people who the deputy prime minister is........... I have even heard people say they didnt know what the budget was about.. but ask them what happened in Eastenders and they can recite it word for word. As far as they are concerned a swarm of bees will chase you and sting you to death.

Hi all digging, they were on the pavement and climbing into the hedge.i don't know if that's normal or not as I've only ever seen them dangling off something before

its rather like telling people not to send money to Prince Bongo so he can pay his bank to send you $5 mil.......Been happening for years and the victims say they have never heard about it........why? becuase they dont listen to stuff that doesnt interest them.........The brain stops working.....Go out on the street and ask 50 people who the deputy prime minister is........... I have even heard people say they didnt know what the budget was about.. but ask them what happened in Eastenders and they can recite it word for word. As far as they are concerned a swarm of bees will chase you and sting you to death.

Is that the same Prince Bongo of Wompopo Land.... met him... charming chap, he borrowed a plug spanner when his Jeep broke down... never did return it !

Yeghes da

Hi all digging, they were on the pavement and climbing into the hedge.i don't know if that's normal or not as I've only ever seen them dangling off something before

I meant how far from the pavement are you carrying out the Taranov split?

Back