Swarm still clustered

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davelin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Took a swarm on Saturday, nice and easy, decent size and put them in a box with new foundation.

Went to give them a feed today and saw a few flying in and out so looked OK.

However when I opened the box I found them still in a cluster in one corner, no drawn comb.
I fed them and dribbled some syrup over top bar of frames to encourage them, but have not come across this before.

Do you think it would help to put a frame of drawn foundation, or even brood in the box next to them?

can't be that decent a size if clustered in a corner. what box do you have them in? sounds like they should be in a poly nuc.

Hi Davelin,
That has happened to me. Still early days and some swarms don't for some reason do much for the first 10 days! I am doing an Enrico here - be patient.

decent size and put them in a box with new foundation.

If they are just in one corner, that does seem to put me in agreement with Dr S. A 14 x 12 box is a big box for a tiny swarm.

Well not completely in a corner, they were on about 1/2 of 2 frames, but solid mass of bees between the frames. I take your point, however and will transfer to a nuc box and see how they go

Last edited:
Solid mass of bees between frames....this is what they do, they string together all clinging on in order that they can build the foundation out, it creates heat and shape. That's what I reckon anyway
( beeno......proud of you!)

OK update-
transferred these to nuc box two days ago and fed.
All feed taken so topped up today, bees flying, didn't open but looks much healthier.
Thanks for the tips.

Back