Swarm prevention - drastic measures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm off on a business trip tomorrow, I'll be out of the country for ten days. It was with some concern that I noticed many drones and a few queen cups in both of my hives yesterday.

I really don't want them to swarm while I'm away, chiefly because my neighbours can get a bit spooked if I'm not there to reassure them.

I added a super to each hive and swapped out 5 frames full of brood with 5 new frames. I know this is a move that many will frown on but I'm not sure what else I can do other than clip the queens (something I'm reluctant to do).

I put the 10 removed frames in another hive hoping that I may get a split out of it.

Any advice? Do queen cups mean they're going no matter what? I really don't want them to swarm while I'm away.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi swarms this early are rare and normaly caused by lack of space and early flow, youve now given another hive 10 extra frames of brood to care for, whilst a decent colony would likely stretch to a couple your asking a hell of a lot. I would have settled for a juggle around on frames and/or another box on top for those that you had any concerns over. Youre only away for 10 days after all. I would consider returning those frames if i was you asap

Last edited:
Any advice? Do queen cups mean they're going no matter what? I really don't want them to swarm while I'm away.

Thanks

Queen cups mean you have fine healthy colony. Not an indication of imminent swarming, just alerting you to the fact they could.
More indicative is the presence of drones, which you don't mention.

I'm off on a business trip tomorrow, I'll be out of the country for ten days. It was with some concern that I noticed many brood and a few queen cups in both of my hives yesterday.

I really don't want them to swarm while I'm away, chiefly because my neighbours can get a bit spooked if I'm not there to reassure them.

I added a super to each hive and swapped out 5 frames full of brood with 5 new frames. I know this is a move that many will frown on but I'm not sure what else I can do other than clip the queens (something I'm reluctant to do).

I put the 10 removed frames in another hive hoping that I may get a split out of it.

Thanks
No. As long as they were empty should not necessarily be a problem. They often just build them anyway.
Moving out frames of brood will hold them back. Did you add empty drawn frames or was it foundation? Hope you have not been to radical. They must have been really strong for you to have moved out five frames - have you got a flow going on now ? As for a split, as long as you have brood/lavrae the right age etc.and stores- with that number of frames I would have been tempted to create two nucs.

Ahhh yes. In the second sentence substitute 'brood for drones'. Lots of drones...

Thanks.
The new frames I put in were mixed, some have some old comb and a couple were just foundation.
The situation in each hive is the same, full brood boxes and a full super of stores sitting on top - and now an extra empty super on top of those.

There does seem to be a flow on, there's a lot of pollen going in.

Two nucs would be ideal but I only have one and a spare brood box. I may put 5 of the brood frames in a nuc and make up the space in my spare brood with shallow frames.
This would all be much easier if I had some time to play with :)

Thanks.
The new frames I put in were mixed, some have some old comb and a couple were just foundation.
The situation in each hive is the same, full brood boxes and a full super of stores sitting on top - and now an extra empty super on top of those.

There does seem to be a flow on, there's a lot of pollen going in.

Two nucs would be ideal but I only have one and a spare brood box. I may put 5 of the brood frames in a nuc and make up the space in my spare brood with shallow frames.
This would all be much easier if I had some time to play with :)

Dummy down the brood box but not with frames - use some insulation if you have it-foil facing the bees.

Possibly you could have put the queen and a couple of frames of brood in a nuc... and given them some 1:1 to tide them over for your 10 day jolly... and then put her back to the colony on your return?

I have friend who take a 3 month sojourn to Florida USA in mid February... puts a super on each colony and a slab of fondant... does not loose colonies to swarming... very brave methinks!!!

Chons da

Thanks everyone. Hopefully they'll stay put until I'm back

Well good luck, but I hope you were touching some wood when you said that. Every time I have said that in the last six years I have had a phone call from swimbo on the day I have left saying "your bloody bees are swarming again".

e.

6 replies and no others think it’s odd adding 10 frames of brood to presumably the weakest hive and suggesting some walk away splits this early in the season:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

No it's an odd thing to do....mad in fact.
But you get so used to the mad it almost seems normal.

6 replies and no others think it’s odd adding 10 frames of brood to presumably the weakest hive and suggesting some walk away splits this early in the season:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

They haven't been added to a weak hive, they're 10 frames of brood, stores and bees in a brood box. As I said I know this is unusual but my objective is to lessen the chance of my two colonies swarming and not to start a new colony - although this would be a bonus if the workers manage to find a way to do so

I know Beagle23 is South of me but, just for comparison, I still haven't pulled a single frame out of any of my hives yet as it is still only March and the weather is hardly tropical. Planning first quick inspections this Friday. No OSR near my apiaries. I have never had swarm cells in April - normally they go up in late May but obviously depends on conditions.

Drones need to be 2 weeks old before sexually mature. Queen cups are not anything to worry about. A good sign of swarm preparations is seeing whether the brood nest is expanding or not. If the queen is fat and the brood nest is not contracting and they have plenty of space then all is well. Drawn comb is best to provide laying space this early in the season (my area). Big strong hives make honey, and honey is good.

In my area the first flow tends to be dandelion & sometimes hawthorne. In OSR areas it's obviously OSR. In a flow you can see the new nectar in the cells and they will put wax on the tops of frames and build out foundation.

If you keep bees in your garden and your neighbours are not fully onboard with it then in my opinion it will end in tears. That's why I use out apiaries. Bees will swarm at some point, and sting, which normal folk can find alarming :icon_204-2:

I hope you have a successful trip - it might be the last time you can do that without getting a visa!

This is just crazy.
Queen cups are utterly normal and no indicator of anything.

PH

Splitting hives and all that malarkay. It's March!
Add space if needed, yes.

Many beekeepers have not even inspected yet.

Back