Swarm no.2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
When I got to my apiary this swarm greeted me.
This swarm was mine :blush5: and it was very difficult, as you can see it was reasonably high up in a ‘Christmas tree’.
I had to cut away a few branches to get to it and even from the top of the ladder it was only just in reach.
The first attempt I bent the branch that they were on and tapped them into a box – but a new lesson learnt is that they are very difficult to tap off Christmas trees as they cling on very tightly. I took the box down with most of the bees in it – but the queen was still in the tree as the bees started making their way back up in the tree. So it was back up the ladder and I had to cut off the branch they were on and bring it down and that is when I realised how hard it is to tap them off the branch.
Had a quick look this morning and both swarms are still in their new homes.
As a quick side note I don’t know how they would have gone on If they had spent the night outside as it was cold wet and windy last night in Rochdale.

Your Braver than me Les
I dont do heights
Anything higher than a step ladder stays there :)

Well done

I don’t know how they would have gone on If they had spent the night outside as it was cold wet and windy last night in Rochdale.

Probably OK. They spend long periods in a cold hive during winter and as you said they were fairly securely hung onto that branch, so the wind would need to be considerable to dislode them. Now, if several nights they might be struggling.

May even have been there all night, anyway?

Have you got really long arms and legs, Les? Because that ladder looks rather short!
:D

only the one end is

Nah, I reckon it is the middle bit that is too short by about ten rungs!

Have you got really long arms and legs, Les? Because that ladder looks rather short!
I had to climb onto the tree to reach the branch they were on (all suited up and holding clippers) I have done a ladder climbing course and managed to break most of the rules.

Just to add - I stood on the branch that the box was on :eek: .

Latest posts

Back