Swarm dilema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cb50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Seems like a swarm year.

I picked up a second swarm today. Really easy one side of a field waist height.

My dilema. All my hives are full but one is queenless and I was about to introduce a frame of eggs. And now I have a swarm. Swarm is in a nuc box and I don’t have a spare bread box to combine them.

As this hive is queenless is there anything I can do to combine them tomorrow without being able to do a normal combine with two brood boxes.

Kit shortage causes issue.

Thanks

Air freshener unite , squirt of glade in both boxes - put an empty super on top of the brood box so that you can pour the swarm in without spilling too many

Now that is a new one to me. Get the theory.

Now lockdown hunt for air freshener 😂

You could take the queen away from the swarm and introduce her to the queenless hive and after a day or two the (now) queenless swarm will go back to the hive they came out of.

You can unite using the paper method by putting your swarm into the super, just shake all the bees of the nuc frames into an empty super or can you remove the bottom of your nuc box? If so put it over a modified crown board and unite with paper.
The air freshener also works well, just don't gas them by using it all.

You could take the queen away from the swarm and introduce her to the queenless hive and after a day or two the (now) queenless swarm will go back to the hive they came out of.

doubtful - they'll just dwindle and die

I thought you could just chuck a swarm in with any other bees ( other than parent colony) and they would not fight. Sure I have read it somewhere in text book. Am I wrong?

I had a swarm with nowhere to put it as all my bb's were full of other colonies and recent swarms. So I put an empty super on top of the weakest swarm and dumped the new lot in on top. New comb now nicely drawn and bias on several frames. Crude but effective.

doubtful - they'll just dwindle and die

I was called out to a swarm in a chimney. I successfully caught the queen and placed her in a nuc box. Next day went back. Queen was dead. Turns out the home owner had sprayed insecticide at the swarm as soon as he saw it. He killed the queen but not the majority of the swarm. The swarm stayed in the chimney. 2 days later the swarm had left and went back to the hive it came from.

Back