Swarm control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Scenario.
I have two colonies next to each other. Both are on double brood and both are making attempts to swarm.
Could I combine and swap a brood box with queen into adjacent hive as swarm controll?
I can’t see why it wouldn’t work but sounds wrong
S

Scenario.
I have two colonies next to each other. Both are on double brood and both are making attempts to swarm.
Could I combine and swap a brood box with queen into adjacent hive as swarm controll?
S

You must kill swarming fever from boath. Only way, what I know is artificial swarm on foundations . Why don't you use it?

You can't see.... Do it and then you see, how swarms go. I would not try, because combining colonies is nothing swarm control method. It uses to wake up swarming, when colony becomes bigger.

You may combine non swarming and swarming colony, and swarming fever takes over the non swarming bees.

Scenario.
S

No.
You have to split them.

It sounds/reads as if you want to take one of the brood boxes from one of your double brood hives c/w Q and add it to another Q+ hive? If that is what you are trying to say then a resounding no as a, the queens will fight and you might lose BOTH. and b, the swarmy one will encourage the other one to swarm with it.

You are right in one respect and that is it sounds a VERY bad idea.

PH

I knew I hadn’t explained properly.

I propose to do a walk away split on both hives ie laying queen from each hive taken away in one of their brood boxes.
So to one side of original two hives, I will have two brood boxes, (A) and (B) each with a queen
On original site I will have two hives, with one brood box each and no queen in either.
Instead of letting them continue to raise a queen, I propose to knock out all queen cells in both original boxes.

Original brood box (A) will then be combined with removed brood box and queen from (B)
Original brood box (B) will then be combined with removed brood box and queen from (A)

I will then have completed an artificial swarm on both but combined with a new queen in each box
In my mind it should work unless I have missed something?
S

You'll need to leave them apart for long enough for the q+ parts to lose the swarming urge.

You might as well let the q- colonies raise queens, otherwise you could well end up with laying workers. If nothing else, the new queens will be insurance against queen problems. The earliest the new queens will lay is mid July, so you could benefit from the extra bees in mid August if you have a flow.

That quarantee next year's swarming.

He doesn't need to keep the queens, he can recombine or do whatever he likes later in the season.

What would you do, Finman?

He doesn't need to keep the queens, he can recombine or do whatever he likes later in the season.

What would you do, Finman?

Like you said, change the better Queen later. But Job was now to cut swarming.

Last edited:
You'll need to leave them apart for long enough for the q+ parts to lose the swarming urge.

You might as well let the q- colonies raise queens, otherwise you could well end up with laying workers. If nothing else, the new queens will be insurance against queen problems. The earliest the new queens will lay is mid July, so you could benefit from the extra bees in mid August if you have a flow.

There wouldn’t be any Q- colonies as the plan is to swap queens over.
Think I will try it and see what happens
S

As I see it, you are going to finish with two colonies, but with the two halves swapped over - but you don’t indicate the time frame. Pointless.

The old queen box (as a whole box) is likely to continue swarming preparations. The other single box is expected to hold all the flying bees from a double brood colony?

An A/S is not carried out by taking away multiple frames of brood with the queen. One frame and lots of wax building space is what is required to get rid of the swarming instinct - and that does not always work!

Think here of the purpose of one frame of brood. It is ONLY there to avoid the colony absconding, nothing else. Without the brood frame it would effectively be like cast a swarm looking for a better home.

Seems to be a lot of faffing about ,you obviously have the kit why not do splits then reunite later on in the autumn.With your idea they could still swarm after you swap the boxes and you also have the problem that the queenless parts may become laying workers.

Latest posts

Back