Swarm collection rant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If people are going to collect swarms please do so in a professional and correct manner where possible.

I have now had to go out to 3 'swarms' where when I get there I notice that perhaps someone else has been there before, on asking the caller where the rest are they say oh well so and so has been out and banged them in a box and has left and is refusing to come back to clear them so I called you.:nono:

I always ask how many bees there are there and if anyone else has attempted collection (plus many other bumble bee/hover fly related questions) and unfortunately these three times I have been lied to by the respective callers, I have still charged them but it is getting a bit daft when people are just collecting half a swarm.

I nearly said 4 'swarms' but one that had been so poorly collected that they left the queen in situ but the garden owner thought atleast 2/3rds of the bee's had been taken by the other 'beekeeper'.

I know it is not always possible to do a return trip but if you can only do one trip try and do it in the evening when you can wait for 30mins and the majority of the bee's will go into your box/skep/hive.

:rant:

That is all.....

C B

Last edited:
Did you not ask for the name of the amateur collector and whether they were a member of an Association?

Usually the caller has got a name and a number from somewhere - bee association website, local council or wherever.

Then direct your complaint to the Association concerned and if you have a name all the better.

Did you not ask for the name of the amateur collector and whether they were a member of an Association?

Usually the caller has got a name and a number from somewhere - bee association website, local council or wherever.

Then direct your complaint to the Association concerned and if you have a name all the better.

I do ask, not yet has it been anyone whom I know, or could trace, only one had a telephone number of the person, the others were all friends of a neighbours uncles friend etc.

I do ask, not yet has it been anyone whom I know, or could trace, only one had a telephone number of the person, the others were all friends of a neighbours uncles friend etc.

You should change your charging policy. (I am being perfectly serious here).

To sorting out other people's messes: £50 standing charge plus travel costs..plus time charged...

I agree. I collected one last week, and waited 40 minutes for all of them to be in the box. The time waiting can be spent productively, talking to members of the public on what is good for bees and what they can do to help them & other insects.

I've started printing the B.B.K.A leaflets to give to people as they are always keen to know what they can do to help the bees out.

How much do you normally charge? If you don't mind me asking.

Sean

If people are going to collect swarms please do so in a professional and correct manner where possible.
Agreed! It's just common sense to; (a) solve the problem you've been called to, the swarm of unwelcome stinging insects and (b) get all the bees to increase the viability of the new colony!

Failing on these two counts is unacceptable.

All the swarms I have collected, I have been on site for a MINIMUM of 3 hours. I never leave until pretty much all the bees are in the box and always advise the caller that they may get some stragglers but if the number is large and they start to cluster again, to give me a call.

NEVER once been called back....

Seems to be a common problem.
Hope you do not get asked for your phone number from some sarckie forumite that takes an exception to your rant.

Perhaps a fair warning to those who would fancy themselves as a swarm collector.

How much do you normally charge? If you don't mind me asking.

Sean

Generally £20-25, but if they are local and likely to be mine I do it for free, also have been known to do it for free if the caller turns out to be a little old lady (you know the type) however often they are the ones that insist you 'take something for your trouble'

C B

Generally £20-25, but if they are local and likely to be mine I do it for free, also have been known to do it for free if the caller turns out to be a little old lady (you know the type) however often they are the ones that insist you 'take something for your trouble'

C B

These were 8 miles away from any of mine, so was doing it more so to be helpful.

This was what happened to me last week. Old lady calls said she had bees in her garden, ask are they flying or settled she said settle under a bird table. How big is the cluster, 'oh about 6" ' she says. As I was in town, and no car with me, get a lift down with a box that had glasses in it (which worked really well). Collected them all in, and they were really happy, asked if I wanted anything I said no - actually gave them a jar of honey that I had in my bag. They asked how I was getting back, and said I would jump in a taxi. They very kindly drove me + bees back home!

I would have thought that the friends and relatives etc., would/should be getting the recall to sort their mess. Bit of a vote of no-confidence when you get called instead.

£30 charge to most people assuming I take the bees. I have been out to a few where the bees are gone or they turn out to be bumbles and I dont charge in that instance, but to properly collect a swarm you are looking at a good couple, maybe three hours on site so I dont think £30 is excessive.

I dont charge OAP's.

I had one guy ring this year and he was very obviously quite well off, as he lived in very nice area in a half million poundish house (thats a lot of money up north). When he first rang, he made it clear he didnt want to pay the £30 fee and why should he, so I told him to move the bees himself in that case.....unsurprisingly, he rang later that day and agreed to the fee.

You CHARGE! no wonder my husband gets calls from people want to have bees destroyed! If its cheaper to get a pest controller in people will do it! luckily my OH will never destroy a swarm

You CHARGE! no wonder my husband gets calls from people want to have bees destroyed! If its cheaper to get a pest controller in people will do it! luckily my OH will never destroy a swarm

Why shouldnt they charge?
I dont when I pick up swarms but see no reason why people shouldnt if they want to.

Must admit last year I was hardly home - 1 swarm took 4 hrs only to get home to a call to another. Collected that one, and as I was leaving an old lady said - could you take my bees too? So 3 swarms in one day...and no, I don't charge.

Unfortunately this year the area list I am on has trebled...so no call for me except 2 - one was bumbles in a café (are they happy where they are?) and one...'we had a man who popped in for 10 minutes and put them in a box'...he had left several hundred bees and 2 children were stung as the bees were not well pleased to be alone. I took them...and it took 3 hrs to be sure we had them.

Wouldn't mind but I know the chap who collected has over 20 hives!

Yes I'm afraid I do, my time is precious, unknown swarms can be a liability.

C B

You should change your charging policy. (I am being perfectly serious here).

To sorting out other people's messes: £50 standing charge plus travel costs..plus time charged...

To comply with BBKA insurance, you need to reword that as both a Fixed Charge and time Charge would invalidate the insurance

so a Donation is recomended of £50 to cover initial costs incurred and a further donation to cover loss of earnings over collection period...might just get passed Towergate Insurers and Jane Moseley

If its cheaper to get a pest controller in people will do it!

I dont agree. For one thing, as you said yourself, most pest controllers wont destroy swarms.

On EVERY swarm collection that I have been on, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, the caller has commented at how low the £30 charge is, when I have driven to THEIR HOUSE, spent 3 hours plus after a full day at work sorting THEIR bee problem out, and saved them from the undesirable option of having the bees destroyed.

The fact is that most people DONT WANT the bees destroying, they just want them not in THEIR garden.

The last Collection I went on, the caller INSISTED on giving me £40, because I was thier until gone 9pm. I accepted the extra £10 but made it clear it would be donated to my local association, which it was.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back