Swarm catching devices and extendable poles.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if a telescopic pole for a swimming pool brush/net might do the job?

James
I think the larger diameter ones would be fine, much stronger than a paint roller pole.
I had a real problem with red dust brought over to Spain from the Sahara on my Spanish villa, it rained a day after the dust coated the house and solidified it.
The only way to remove it was washing up liquid and a coarse scrubbing brush followed by a jetwash.
The trouble was, 8mwalls, no ladder and only 2mtr set of steps.
I tried the scrubbing brush cable tied to a painting pole, much too bendy.
Tried one of the pool poles, no problem, I even managed to jet wash by cable tying the jet wash gun to the pole and balancing the jetwash on top my steps, even though it was like wrestling a cross between a giraffe and a grizzly bear.
The plastic locking mech isn't a problem, never known one to slip, although the Spanish sun would eventually make it brittle, but that took a few years.
Just don't over extend it, keep at least a foot of the thinner pole inside the thicker.
Worst thing is they're half the price in Spain compared to here.

How about using one of these lightweight poles (I assume they are hollow) and connecting it to bee vac, hoover up the whole swarm from high up, no need to hold the swarm's weight

How about using one of these lightweight poles (I assume they are hollow) and connecting it to bee vac, hoover up the whole swarm from high up, no need to hold the swarm's weight
if I had bee vac then yes its another solution I suppose.

I don't want to use ladders and I know there are many extending/telescopic poles available and am wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) of there performance when used with a swarm catching device like those available from Thorne and others which have approx 30mm diameter fittings.
Hi there.
Some time latter. . .Jan 2024.
The recent NAHSE in Kentuky. See Kaymond Reynolds : Organiser on YouTube. Lots of Show Clips. . .
Intetesting : Swarm Tool "Clip"
And also UKs Black Mountain Laurence Edwards Beekeeper, went to above and Talked to the Show Sales Guy "Inventor" who created a
"Frame Holder Clip" that then Screws onto an Extending Pole.
Put a 'Frame near a Swarm' and they crawl onto it,' apparently. 👍
Interesting to see a "$15" Item that Works ! When Beek Industry Gear Costs £100's or even £1000's.
Love it when a Dude makes a 'Market' leading Tool, via a DIY Brain Storm via his Tool Shed. 🤭
Think Fred Dunn (Youtuber) noted this cool little bit of Swarm Kit, too.
(Maybe Fred might have Info within his Friday Q&A Recorded Session done last week, or the week before?)
Hope this helps. 😎

Hi there.
Some time latter. . .Jan 2024.
The recent NAHSE in Kentuky. See Kaymond Reynolds : Organiser on YouTube. Lots of Show Clips. . .
Intetesting : Swarm Tool "Clip"
And also UKs Black Mountain Laurence Edwards Beekeeper, went to above and Talked to the Show Sales Guy "Inventor" who created a
"Frame Holder Clip" that then Screws onto an Extending Pole.
Put a 'Frame near a Swarm' and they crawl onto it,' apparently. 👍
Interesting to see a "$15" Item that Works ! When Beek Industry Gear Costs £100's or even £1000's.
Love it when a Dude makes a 'Market' leading Tool, via a DIY Brain Storm via his Tool Shed. 🤭
Think Fred Dunn (Youtuber) noted this cool little bit of Swarm Kit, too.
(Maybe Fred might have Info within his Friday Q&A Recorded Session done last week, or the week before?)
Hope this helps. 😎
I feel really uncomfortable asking for allowances for my own problems, however due to my own syndrome & processing disorder I sometimes struggle parsing sentences into coherent understanding. This usually happens when people write in an odd cadence, it means I'm left struggling to work out the meaning. I don’t want to seem rude but would you mind rephrasing your post @MeAndMyBees?

I feel really uncomfortable asking for allowances for my own problems, however due to my own syndrome & processing disorder I sometimes struggle parsing sentences into coherent understanding. This usually happens when people write in an odd cadence, it means I'm left struggling to work out the meaning. I don’t want to seem rude but would you mind rephrasing your post @MeAndMyBees?
Plain English.
A UK Beek, in the Scottish Borders follows several really good Beek Channels on YouTube !
Plain English. A Beek in the Scottish Borders follows several great US Beeks, via YouTube.
Murox
Plain English.
Murox :
Was it 'Yourself' asking in an earlier 'Post' about Swarm Capturing without Ladders and the like ?

In USA: Search 'NAHBE' !
North America Honey Bee Expo was on back at the beginning of Jan '24. . .
Had one Beek : who brought a simple but amazing "Clip" to the above Show. It Sold amazingly !!!
It screws onto any long Pole eg : 'Swimming Pool / High 2nd Floor Window Cleaning
This [Business] Beek thought "Attach a Comb" Frame into Clip : and then Raise it up to the Bees : Let them "latch" onto that Comb, then Lower that Pole down Bees and all ! NO Ladder needed.
Laurence Edwards (BMHoney) went to Kentuky and did a really nice YouTube Film of NAHBE. And meet and talked to this attending Buisnessman Beek who came up with this simple 'brilliant idea'. 💡
Laurence bought several Clips to bring back to Wales ! And another excellent US Beek : Fred Dunn did the same, took his clips back to the cold north of Pennsylvania. (He did a piece to Camera in his YT Q&A.)

Hope you can read and digest. 🤭

I try to answer Members 'Queries,' to that of long repeated numbers of Posted 😄's.
I'll leave it at that. Typing and dull chit chat isn't my forte. . .
I like to learn, inform, help folk. 😎
You asked / I Answered a Solution.

Plain English.
A UK Beek, in the Scottish Borders follows several really good Beek Channels on YouTube !

Plain English. A Beek in the Scottish Borders follows several great US Beeks, via YouTube.
Murox

Plain English.
Murox :
Was it 'Yourself' asking in an earlier 'Post' about Swarm Capturing without Ladders and the like ?

Had one Beek : who brought a simple but amazing "Clip" to the above Show. It Sold amazingly !!!
It screws onto any long Pole eg : 'Swimming Pool / High 2nd Floor Window Cleaning
This [Business] Beek thought "Attach a Comb" Frame into Clip : and then Raise it up to the Bees : Let them "latch" onto that Comb, then Lower that Pole down Bees and all ! NO Ladder needed.
Laurence Edwards (BMHoney) went to Kentuky and did a really nice YouTube Film of NAHBE. And meet and talked to this attending Buisnessman Beek who came up with this simple 'brilliant idea'. 💡
Laurence bought several Clips to bring back to Wales ! And another excellent US Beek : Fred Dunn did the same, took his clips back to the cold north of Pennsylvania. (He did a piece to Camera in his YT Q&A.)

I try to answer Members 'Queries,' to that of long repeated numbers of Posted 😄's.
Sorry : Phone Froze on Forum ! Started typing. Lost ! Where it go?
Then inputs my x3 lost txt !!! . . 🤪

I sympathise Murox. This is the first time I have put anyone on ignore!

Plain English.

Murox

Plain English.
Murox :

Is the way you post an affectation or are you genuinely disabled? I can see you’re not dyslexic. So why are you writing in such a disruptive manner? You are going to get the whole forum putting you on ignore. I sometimes wish I could.

..................I try to answer Members 'Queries,' to that of long repeated numbers of Posted 😄's.
You tried, thank you for that.

Latest posts

Back