Suspected DLQ or laying worker problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not asking you to swallow anything. You make it sound like I am trying to trick you. All this because I said "last" Saturday, which by the way, many would argue is correct. Saturday is Saturday! Last Saturday is the one before.
If it is too much trouble to give out advice, then please don't bother. There are many on here who manage to help. Your help would be very appreciated if indeed it was "help".
If on the other hand you just enjoy dishing out the ridicule in some twisted form of sarcasm, then go for it. Knowledge, age and wisdom are power for some people, and I understand if you don't want to give knowledge and wisdom away as all you are left with is age! I understand if this is the case, so please say if it is.

RAB is giving you some very good information ... but you have to read his posts carefully. If you give him the right background information and FACTS then he will steer you in the right direction.

Accurate dates in beekeeping and time lines are very important ... without them you cannot possibly know what is happening.

RAB may come across as brutal at times but what he says is right ... and believe me, it''s not just you that gets a poke in the ribs .... He's quite capable of giving anyone who does not appear to be thinking straight (new and old beekeepers, novice or master) the same prodding ! You will learn more from thinking about what RAB tells you than following some blindly offered and inconsidered advice from someone who thinks they know what they are doing and think they know what's going on in your hive.

Hi Pargyle,
Your post 3 May - It's a plan... or is it? You praise him and he does not criticise you. Neither can I recall him putting you right on when you were going through your 'not having any varroa phase'. It is a form of cyber bullying IMHO. Can it be excused by old age NO, only dementia.

Can everyone on here please settle down.
Some people shoot from the hip which is fine. Take with a pinch of salt.
We are all keeping bees & can learn from one another. Some advice is good, some is not, it's up to the person whether they take it or not . Also if you don't like what someone is saying, don't answer them, delete their comment.
Sticks and stones come to mind.
This forum is designed to help fellow members. Yes some are blunt, but some times it's the only way to get explanations about things that a fellow member did not mention, calculate or try .
So much impatience, without logical thinking first.
Help one another and less nit picking. Take the advice or delete what you don't like.
BEE HAPPY and all little house bees will.

Love Beekeeping <3

Beano - never heard of PMs? You need to think before you post if you are able to.

I don't see that going over what may already have been exhanged by PM is particularly useful.
Much the same with several other forum members.

Top right corner of your sceen. You learn something new every day - well, most do.

Can everyone on here please settle down.

... if you don't like what someone is saying, don't answer them, delete their comment.

... This forum is designed to help fellow members. Yes some are blunt, but some times it's the only way to get explanations about things that a fellow member did not mention, calculate or try .

... Take the advice or delete what you don't like.
:iagree:

Eloquently put.

Can we also have an end to the very personal criticisms that seem to be raising their rather ugly heads.

There's nothing wrong with disagreements about beekeeping principles, those sort of debates add to the forum because we see the whole range of ideas and practices, but personal sleights and personal attacks need to stop.

:iagree:

Eloquently put.

Can we also have an end to the very personal criticisms that seem to be raising their rather ugly heads.

There's nothing wrong with disagreements about beekeeping principles, those sort of debates add to the forum because we see the whole range of ideas and practices, but personal sleights and personal attacks need to stop.

Agree,
Nothing wrong either with bluntness, if the advice is good.
We all want the best for our bees at the end of the day.
It's also nice to be nice too.
The forum is a nicer place to visit without sour comments.
Everyone had to start at the beginning at one stage or another.
My advice in matters like this, would be not to take things to heart, delete if the answer you get is not what you were expecting.
There are lots of others that will give advice.
We can all enjoy the forum for the right reasons, looking after our bees.

Love Beekeeping <3

Beano - never heard of PMs? You need to think before you post if you are able to.

I don't see that going over what may already have been exhanged by PM is particularly useful.
Much the same with several other forum members.

Top right corner of your sceen. You learn something new every day - well, most do.

Sorry Oliver, do not understand what you are on about. I am not privy to other peoples' PMs they are just that. Of course, except for the one you broadcast on the forum from some one you had upset at the time.

beenovice

Looks like you've got a laying worker, also if it was a dlq she wouldn't have coexisted with your new green Q.

I'd suggest you lift the broodbox from the floor and move e.g. 8 ft away Put an empty bb on the floor then transfer the broodless outer frames after shaking off all the bees and fill the centre gap with foundation.

The aim is to isolate the laying worker(s) with the non=flying bees in the the original bb. Now brush all the bees from the frames with brood (and from inner walls of the bb) onto the ground. Strip/and bin the brood comb from the frames and replace with foundation. Finally, after 30 mins, tip the new Q back onto the frames in the new bb and close with crownboard/ roof

The non flying bees will either find their way back to the new bb (or not) but most importantly the laying worker(s) won't be allowed back in.

good luck....and it does work!

Richard

I have tried the method above. It didn't seem like the right thing to do (tipping bees onto the floor) but when they had all calmed down, the hive seemed well populated.
My only concern was that I removed the messy drone brood frames but I left a couple of frames with eggs and young larvae. Your instruction was to "transfer the brood less outer frames" I did this in the hope that the eggs were from the new queen, and not the DLQ or laying worker. And also to give the queen a reason to stay.
Is this wrong? Should I go back in and remove?

A previous comment stated that a new queen will not lay until all brood has hatched. Have I delayed this by leaving eggs?

In hindsight I would have removed all but stores, but I am new to this, and I was trying to think on my feet.

A previous comment stated that a new queen will not lay until all brood has hatched

You believe everything you read? Utter rubbish.

I was trying to think on my feet.

Far better to sit down with a piece of paper and draw out all possibilities, before risking getting it wrong.

Just a new bee here but isn't this too patchy for DLQ ?

My DLQ laid full frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beenovice,

A previous comment stated that a new queen will not lay until all brood has hatched.

......obviously incorrect; it's routine procedure to either requeen or unite colonies, involving removing one of the Qs but leaving her brood behind. In both cases you expect to see eggs within a few days.

I suggest you now help them draw out the new foundation by feeding 1:1 syrup in a rapid feeder

Good luck,
Richard

Latest posts

Back