Suppliers - E H T*****S

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
A certain supplier does come in for a bit of flack on this site but it has to be said, credit where credit is due,
I placed an online order on Monday morning and it was delivered today. You’d struggle to beat that kind of service :winner1st:

Yes, have to agree, I popped into one of their stores for some supplies over the weekend and got a free rogering to boot. Don’t think ill bother using them again. Outrageous prices, suppose they have to pay the shop rents somehow!

If anything it made me reconsider my entire approach to this whole thing. I’m paying far too much for stuff I could build in my sleep!

A certain supplier does come in for a bit of flack on this site but it has to be said, credit where credit is due,
I placed an online order on Monday morning and it was delivered today. You’d struggle to beat that kind of service :winner1st:

I ordered a Draper Mitre Box on ebay yesterday and it was delivered by Hermes today. So a two day delivery time is not noteworthily good..

Avoid high prices by planning in winter and buying at Beetradex is my motto...Saves me approx £100 a year - I buy no foundation or wax except at shows.

People like to knock successful businesses. I have found the retailer in question very good, I have changed orders in progress with no problem or complaints, had a replacement for the one broken item I received with no bother at all. When I was starting out I used their You Tube videos to understand how to build the hives and boxes. The kit I buy is always well wrapped in strong boxes, with shredded card I can light the smoker with.
I placed orders with two other suppliers this year (because of item availability) and both orders were wrong. I purchased three drums of syrup last year from another supplier, one was damaged on receipt and full of ants, all they would offer was a refund on one drum, they wouldn’t send out a replacement drum because of the courier costs.

Last edited:
I think of Thornes (why the silly name dodging?) as being a kind of Waitrose of beekeeping supplies. A good solid range of products, but not the most economic prices. Often the first supplier of new beekeepers until they are more experienced and parsimonious. :)

Last edited:
I have had no problem with Thornes at all....other companies yes.

A good solid range of products, but not the most economic prices. Often the first supplier of new beekeepers until they are more experienced and parsimonious. :)

So give me an example of a better company? Ive not found one yet to compare

Never had a problem with them, but like everything we purchase we shop around to get the best price including delivery.
Always get to this time of year and wish I had bought even more in their winter sale though !
S

Thornes have been around for years and quite frankly must be doing something right. Can’t knock them for the sales and with a local shop am a frequent visitor for items needed immediately.

It's like everything else it's knowing buyer beware.

They are expensive and they give their prices out clearly so if you do some cross checking then you can avoid being stung. Like the £20 mark up on a tacker.

On some other stuff they are not bad but it pays to check. As for delivery times well with modern tech that's, no great deal is it? Even here miles from any major depot, ours comes mostly from Carlisle which is the AA says some 56 miles away our prime stuff arrives on schedule.

PH

I have had no problem with Thornes at all....other companies yes.

So give me an example of a better company? Ive not found one yet to compare
Simonthebeekeeper in my experience.

Thornes SN4 frames pack of 10 = £16.50
SimonTBK SN4 frame pack of 11 = £14.99
How many frames fit in a national super?

Both offer free delivery over £100
about a dozen or so orders through STBK so far and all gone great, good packaging, quick postage, even when I have paid for the cheapest (slowest) it still comes faster than expected.

I use Rose Hives and Thornes have the exclusive rights to sell them in UK. I bought a batch of flat packs recently but found the plywood side pieces to be so inaccurately cut that I could not make them up. The result would have left a 5mm gap between boxes in the stack.

I complained and was immediatly given a 50% refund. I was able to buy a sheet of plywood with the cash and make my own sides.

However, during the conversation, they said that I was not the first to complain and as a result they would no longer sell kits but only assembled boxes. I could not see the logic in this at all.

Now the only option to buy Rose boxes in UK, is the more expensive assembled items. Tim Rowe gives dimensions and instructions for making boxes in his book, so I commissioned a local woodshop to make the end profile pieces for me. I now can build boxes for about 50% of Thorne's (now unavailable) kit price and a fraction of the cost of a complete box.

I think Thornes could have done better.

Last edited:
If they are selling them in volume am sure they would have.....you appear happy with the service/response what could they have done better. The demand is clearly not there and they have discontinued the flat packs that may well have been outsourced. What’s wrong with that.

What’s wrong with that

Their quality control, that's what.

I grant you that their response was correct, but as sole suppliers they do not have competition and so need to ensure the product is of good quality. In this case they were unable to supply rectangles of plywood to the correct dimensions - not rocket surgery.

I have used them for many other products and will continue to do so, but I found this incident disappointing

supply service dreadful

So re supply put an urgent request in to a "national" company" 3- 5 days delivery so rung today to find items still waiting to be sent and that maybe a few more days. Rung the dispatch depot directly myself where I was told that the company have been telling everyone of delivery delays ! However there is nothing on their site to that effect.

If you stay here long enough, I'm sure you will see commendations and complaints about every beekeeping supplier out there.

Sometimes mistakes happen but, generally, they do their best to fix them if something goes wrong. Give them a chance to do it. We don't need to hear about it unless something is seriously wrong (which might affect all customers).
I've been on the receiving end of good and bad service. I just remember that the next time I consider buying from the company. I suggest you all do the same.

I've had Thornes, Abelo, Maisemore, C Wynne Jones and STBK all make mistakes and shortages - frames, wax, hive parts and even entire hives. All have rectified thankfully.

Thornes are expensive for most things however an odd reasonably priced item appears and the winter sale was particularly good.

Latest posts

Back