supersedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hived a swarm a while back and they never really got going. Queen spotted and seems quite happy bimbling about laying an egg now and then.
Had 2 supersedure cells built next to each other the smaller of which def has larvae in and I think some jelly. Other cell has a bees bum in it so couldn't see in.
This hive is very noisy and move quicker compared to my other, almost like they are anxious.
Is there time enough for queen to develop and mate and build up the colony for winter? Anything I should be doing apart from leaving them to it?

This could be the blind leading the blind but I'd be inclined to draw a time line starting from a definite date of, say, hatching of egg or capping of the queen cell. You can then see when to expect significant events to occur, have a guess at mating and maturing periods and egg-laying, hatching capping etc. of the brood. The use your judgement as to whether the weather will help or hinder for when the events might be due to occur. Simples!

In other words, it's anybody's guess whether the colony will survive and prosper but by doing the time line, you might be able to guess more accurately what the outcome could be. I suppose if all else fails, you could combine your weak colony with a stronger hive and give that hive some extra workers to gather late stores - ivy, etc.

CVB

CVB has the right idea. Time lines are very revealing. Four weeks and she should, hopefully be laying with new brood a further three weeks on, foragers a bit longer again. If current queenie is laying some brood, that will help them.

What you give us is no clue at all about the current strength of the colony, age of bees etc, so from this end it is a guess as to how they might develop - might even be robbed out by wasps! Your best bet, if you get a decent supercedure cell and the eggs laid so far are worker brood, would be to reinforce the colony with emerging brood from your other colony(ies).

I hope the queen cell had a bee's head in it, not her bum, or the only brood may be from laying workers!

Feeding as required - you don't mention if they have more than adequate stores - and closing down the entrance would be prudent at this time of the year.

Latest posts

Back