Supersedure- too late?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi All
The last couple of inspections I have had doubts about my queen, not laying well, today's inspection I have one Supersedure capped cell and a couple not yet capped, I did see the queen who was very lethargic and not looking good also no eggs, my question is will it be too late for the verging to hatch, mate and produce winter bees, or will I be looking at combining with one of my other hives,
Thanks in advance

how many bees?
what is left on the frames etc?

I ask as I too had a queen that had stopped laying and small numbers of workers etc, I added brood and stores from another hive three weeks ago and they are now doing great and she's laying like a trooper

Bees covering 8 frames and two suppers, but very little brood I would say 2 frames covering the BB,I was thinking of adding a frame or two from a strong hive, but what will happen if she kicks back into life? Will she kill off the virgins that emerge?

my question is will it be too late for the verging to hatch, mate and produce winter bees, or will I be looking at combining with one of my other hives,
Thanks in advance

It's not even August yet for goodness sake - loads of time, got a few QC's in nucs on the go at the minute - it's from now on bees decide to supersede - they've been doing it for millions of years, so I think they know better than us :D

It's not even August yet for goodness sake - loads of time, got a few QC's in nucs on the go at the minute - it's from now on bees decide to supersede - they've been doing it for millions of years, so I think they know better than us :D

Very true , thanks

Yea......mine are still swarming. Nowhere near too late. Still waiting for summer proper! :)
E

Plenty of time unless the winter starts 3 months early :)

Certainly not to late, but as an insurance / test you could alway nuc up the old queen with a couple of frames of brood +bees and see what happens.

I wish I could be that confident they are supercedure cells!
Supercedure cells tend to be all around the same age.

Im no expert but the current queen has a near empty BB to lay into and she looks in no fit state to fly as she can hardly move.

Certainly not to late, but as an insurance / test you could alway nuc up the old queen with a couple of frames of brood +bees and see what happens.

Godd idea I might do that although I suspect HM is close to the end.

It's a good time of the year for supercedure.

Hi sbisme,
From your description, I would not breed from a sick queen. I would get a laying queen otherwise you miss too many brood cycles.

Latest posts

Back