Supersedure or more swarming!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives!!
The swarm with our original Q from earlier in the year started throwing up Queen cells for a few weeks, we knocked them down (yes i know bad practice) but once they had been given another 2 supers they had stopped for 3-4 weeks, there are a few play cups but just the same as the other hive, but on the last 2 inspections there has been just one viable QC that we have knocked down.

I know there is no telling with bees, but i am now wondering if this is a supersedure cell rather than a swarm cell, as from what is said on here and in the books, from now on is supersedure time, but the swarm season has not finished, but both hives have virtually no drone brood.

The cell is 2/3rd down the frame (14x12) and almost in the middle, but this is where they put the original swarm cells in the old hive, so they are not helping.

Are there any other ways to tell what they are planing other than wait and see?

The Queen is meant to be last years from May so only just over a year old.

We did think to take the original Q with a few frames and put in a nuc and see what they do, or go posh and buy a GM Q as the girls have sold enough honey to afford one, but our bees are calm, very low varoa, but not honey monsters. so sort of suit or needs, and have produced some lovely queens for other people.
Sorry for the rambling but need a bit of help, advice, wisdom & ideas to bounce off and this is a new part of the season for us, so more learning!!

Last edited:
Nuc the queen and let them get on with it
If they are hell bent on superseding her they will in the nuc and you will have two new queens for next year

Nuc the queen and let them get on with it
If they are hell bent on superseding her they will in the nuc and you will have two new queens for next year

Ok if they build another QC then leave it in the hive, and put the Q in the nuc like an AS, i take it that if they don't throw up more QC in the nuc then its more swarm cells or are they just playing silly buggers?

Ok if they build another QC then leave it in the hive, and put the Q in the nuc like an AS, i take it that if they don't throw up more QC in the nuc then its more swarm cells or are they just playing silly buggers?

They may just wait until the nuc builds up before trying to supersede again

They may just wait until the nuc builds up before trying to supersede again

Thanks, that makes sense.
More playing musical frames and sitting on my hands!!

I gather that we are going to get a reduction in foraging, once the brood break happens until the new queen starts laying? shame as there seems to be a lot of nectar being collected at the moment.

Latest posts

Back