Supers back on or left off after honey spun off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. Yes!! Its me again. On the next sunny day I am going to take my supers off and spin the honey off. I have 4 hives with 3 full supers on and 4 , this year's hives, with 1 super on. The question is......do I return the empty supers or not?

Just for long enough for the bees to clean the combs of what little left over honey there is and store it in the brood box for winter. Then I'd remove them to reduce the empty space they have to heat up in winter.

... unless you have a really strong late flow and you think you can get more honey, but remember they need some for themselves.

Just for long enough for the bees to clean the combs of what little left over honey there is and store it in the brood box for winter. Then I'd remove them to reduce the empty space they have to heat up in winter.

... unless you have a really strong late flow and you think you can get more honey, but remember they need some for themselves.

That's what I was thinking. I will check when I take them off.

Too much faff, just bag them and stack them.

:iagree:

Bit of a nonense giving them back to the bees 'to clean them' either sal them up in a bag or strap them up tightly with a board each end so nothing can get in and you're done - storing them 'wet' also discourages waxmoth

On a different tack, is there enough room for the bees if you reduce down from four supers to none?

I simply couldn't be doing with hassle taking them off, putting them back, taking them off and the end result isn't worth it.

On a different tack, is there enough room for the bees if you reduce down from four supers to none?

Possibly not and I would not take a chance as you may induce late swarming.

I've been quite interested in this thread, as I have been giving mine back to get cleaned up before storing them. I thought I was doing the bees a favour by letting them take back some of their hard won honey and hopefully reducing the need to feed them to prepare their winter stores. One question though about storing them wet - when the honey left ferments, does it leave a taint that can be detected in the spring honey?

If your super combs have had brood in them at any time then they will be a target for wax moth wet or dry

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Must be a cut and paste thing from some book on fastbuck beekeeping?

:icon_204-2:

Nos da

Well without wishing to start a flame war, the reason I questioned reducing from four supers to none in one step it was that I had experienced just that - late season swarming - as beeno suggests. And while it seems to be a popular pastime having a swipe at beeno, on this occasion he makes a valid and helpful point.

If your super combs have had brood in them at any time then they will be a target for wax moth wet or dry

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I didn't know that. The first year we returned the supers to the hives...and got majorly stung for it. Last year we kept them off and sprayed them with Certan. We didn't get any wax moth at all. So we will do the same this year. We stored the frames in the supers on a floor with a board under and over them.

Latest posts

Back