supers and treating

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Hi,
Does anyone feed empty supers while treating with thymol?Is there still a risk of tainting the honey for next year?
Thanks.

Empty super frames after you have extracted the honey.They are still wet after the extraction,so i thought i could feed them back while i was treating for varroa?

Empty super frames after you have extracted the honey.They are still wet after the extraction,so i thought i could feed them back while i was treating for varroa?

Bees clean them in two days. Take them then off. Treating in time is important.

Influence of stuffs are weaker when you have there extra space

don't waste your time and energy doing that - store them 'wet'.
The thymol 'fumes' won't taint them for next year's honey though, especially if you've put them back over a feeder board.

don't waste your time and energy doing that - store them 'wet'.
The thymol 'fumes' won't taint them for next year's honey though, especially if you've put them back over a feeder board.

Thanks Jenkins,
thats what i needed to know.

if you are going to store them wet, just put into a strong plastic bag and seal up tightly or, stack them all up with a blank board top and bottom and strap them all up tightly with a couple of ratchet straps.
I leaqve them outside with just a roof covering on top so the cold gets to them and kills any waxmoth eggs

The last couple of years i've stacked them up outside with ratchet straps and have suffered a bit of mould on the super frames, but mainly on brood frames.I was using a fine mesh floor to give them some air but still they still got a bit mouldy.would tight blanking top and bottom boards help? The bee's did clear the mould eventually.

The last couple of years i've stacked them up outside with ratchet straps and have suffered a bit of mould on the super frames, but mainly on brood frames.I was using a fine mesh floor to give them some air but still they still got a bit mouldy.would tight blanking top and bottom boards help? The bee's did clear the mould eventually.

You keep too much space during winter. Bees respiration moisture meets dew point inside the hive. Moisture condensates onto combs.

Restrict the interior. So it stays warmer and dry.

Move dark and pollen frames off from next to wall. Replace it with foundation frame, or new white comb.

Last edited:
Yes if you're storing the frames wet the last thing you need is ventilation

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back