Supers and frames cost

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hit the sales big time and what with Pagden A/Ss and swarms, this year has taken up nearly all my spare kit. I started the year on 2 hives - I currently have 7 (if they all end up with laying queens). 5 in cedar national hives and 2x poly nucs - I have one empty cedar hive spare. I'm aiming to take 5/6 hives into winter, so I'll look at combining once swarm season is over and I can assess the queens I have and colony strength. But thinking ahead for next year, if I start the year with 5 hives, what is the most cost effective method of swarm control in terms of least amount of kit needed?

what is the most cost effective method of swarm control in terms of least amount of kit needed?

Avoidance.

Considering the cost of frames and how long they last I'm not inclined to want to spend a week looking for some that are few pennies cheaper and foundation is also not something you need to replace every year.

:iagree: … and I've been caught out not having enough mid-season and frantically hammering them together to go into a hive immediately. I buy seconds in the sales and make them up during the long cold winter nights.

But too few … I've almost run out :(

I’m lucky to have a thron** agent that doesn’t live that many miles away and he has plenty of stock in. Also by saving the tree bee world population it has paid for all my frames brood/super plus wax and also eight polly nucs.

Latest posts

Back