Super on top or underneath

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger65

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Do people put a new super on top of a filled super or underneath?

What percentage of frame of a super do you wait to be filled before you put on a new one?

Underneath and when it begins to get heavy.....they always need clear frames.
E

It depends on several factors. During the OSR best to put it under to relieve congestion and reduce swarming. If you want foundation drawn then under. Producing comb honey under until capped then move to top. However as the season is drawing to an end then best on top as this results in honey in existing (and hence) lower supers being ripened and capped properly

Under until it gets too much to have to lift four heavy supers then on top.

:iagree:

I always used to add new supers on top but this year I have been adding below and it really does seem to work better. Only draw back is lifting the others off to see how much space is left in the lowest!

In terms of when to add a super, it depends on the flow and colony strength.
Today I have removed 2 unused supers from a weaker colony which is only just recovering after swarming whereas yesterday I was adding the 4th supers to strong hives and I have at least 1 that is probably ready for it's 5th !!

Thanks for the replies. As I only have one super on which is 75% full I am going for on top with the new one. That is until the existing one is full.

Thanks for the replies. As I only have one super on which is 75% full I am going for on top with the new one. That is until the existing one is full.

Soorry...but that is a basic mistake....

First,
- room must be as big as there are bees, even if you do not have got honey ...otherwise swarmingp

- allways put new super between old super and brood. Bees have instinct to lift ripen honey up and nectar is rippening down
- bees must have feeling that they have plenty og free storage room in the hive
- when bees have free combs over brood, that hinders swarming.

- if you want that bees cap first one super and then use another, it is soon disaster. They store nectar in brood combs and soon they are swarming.

- go get one capped super, you need 2 super more for nectar store.

- bees swarm easily if hive is stucked with nectar or honey.

Last edited:
More supers....it depends too how much new brood is going to emerge soon...capped brood...

Have they stored honey in brood box if thry have not other place?

Beneath, especially if the super has foundation you want drawing. The bees will use the lower super to ripen the honey and move it to the upper super.

They have stored some in the brood box not excessively. They have 4.5 frames worth of sealed brood on 14x12 frames.

Latest posts

Back