Super market fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4-8
Is it ok to use super market fondant ? Just put some on but now worried it should have been bakers fondant. Or is it all the same.
Cheers

"Just put some on"

how much.

IMHO if bees need it they need a good chunk i.e. 4-6kg.

otherwise it's just tinkering.

and yes should use bakers fondant.

Anything in an emergency but in preference use bakers fondant. Any old fashioned bakers will supply you with a whole box. At the moment the going price is about £17 for 12.5 Kg
If you ask really nicely they will cut it in half and sell you half a box!
E

Honestly, nothing wrong with plainest of the plain supermarket fondant.
The small amount of additions to make it pliable and easily rolled (for cakes) won't harm the bees. Many of the 'additives' used are similar to the minor constituents of pollen (veg oil for example).

Thus its a reasonable choice for a small quantity with immediate availability.
Accordingly, its often used in mini-mating-nuc feeding by people of the eminence of Terry Clare.

However, between now and the start of a decent Spring nectar flow, even a single hive could get through more than 5kg. And 5kg from the supermarket is going to be about the same cost as 12.5kg of Bako - so, *IF* you have one or more hives *needing* feeding at this point, Bakers fondant makes sense.
The downside of under-feeding (death by starvation) is a whole lot worse than the downside of over-feeding, so its right to err on the side of excess if you have any doubts.
Tightly wrapped, Bako stores from one year to the next, so it isn't a waste to have some in store.

:eek: We were getting it from Bako for £11.00 a box this winter

I used to get it for £12 from the bakers but they said bako had just put the price up, when did you last buy it from bako at that price! Just interested to see if they are pulling my leg!
E

Latest posts

Back