Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madasafish is right. I have checked wholesaler Macro. They do sugar in sacks. Two 25K sacks cost £28. That is 56p per kilo. No-one comes near Morrisons at 44p (That is with the 2 kilo bags). It MUST be a loss-leader. Suck it up while you can. My wife has just gone to out local Morrisons with instructions to buy a serious boot-full.

Madasafish is right. .

Never thought I'd read that... :sunning:

Edit Morrisons Festival Park Stoke on Trent had a big pile mid week. Today when I topped up - as you do with sugar - it was down to about 1/4 of its original size...

Last edited:
Lidl today was 58p per kilo. 10p difference is a pain I like that I go to booker and they put a full pallet in the vehicle which takes 10 minutes in & out, value of my time I guess.

Lidl today was 58p per kilo. 10p difference is a pain I like that I go to booker and they put a full pallet in the vehicle which takes 10 minutes in & out, value of my time I guess.

For me the cost of diesel to drive to my nearest Bookers or Morrisons means it's cheaper to pay Lidl's prices...or it makes so little difference that the time saved vs money saved is irrelevant.

For me Makro/booker are a bit closer plus all the waste bags would be a nuisance.

plus all the waste bags would be a nuisance.
Easy peasy 1kg measures...bags straight into recycling bin, they don't take up that much room. Only nuisance is when one splits when you open it and sugar all over the floor.
Lidl at 56p per kg (my Lidl anyway) vs Morrisons at 44p per kgs...and I buy around 200kgs this time of the year .....works out at £24 cheaper at Morrisons but then I have 45 minute drive...minus diesel at say £12 for return trip and I save £12.......is it worth it? Not for me it isn't...plus you get to Morrisons...do they have 200kgs on the shelves when you get there? Need two trips...and I think you get the gist by now, cheaper is not always cheaper.

.plus you get to Morrisons...do they have 200kgs on the shelves when you get there? Need two trips...and I think you get the gist by now, cheaper is not always cheaper.

...if a large order you can order the quantity you want a couple of days before, they will have it ready for you...and if you order it by the ton, they will have it ready on pallets and it load for you.

...if a large order you can order the quantity you want a couple of days before, they will have it ready for you...and if you order it by the ton, they will have it ready on pallets and it load for you.

And will they discount it below shop bought price?

Never thought I'd read that... :sunning:

Edit Morrisons Festival Park Stoke on Trent had a big pile mid week. Today when I topped up - as you do with sugar - it was down to about 1/4 of its original size...

It's been their loss leader constantly for a few years now, I wouldn't worry about them ending it soon.

Yes, it is fairly common to find that the same product is a different price in other countries.

Agreed, Lidl in Portugal sugar is €0.74 which is about 67p

Fortunately I only need about 100kgs :)

Last edited:
Agreed, Lidl in Portugal sugar is €0.74 which is about 67p

Fortunately I only need about 100kgs :)

Oh dear... And Lidl sells Sugar with many prices.

I wonder how many decrees you need in England that you can but Sugar.

Scotland I understand. They try to pinch every pence. Ireland is so poor that they must use all they yield for winter..

Oh dear... And Lidl sells Sugar with many prices.

I wonder how many decrees you need in England that you can but Sugar.

Scotland I understand. They try to pinch every pence. Ireland is so poor that they must use all they yield for winter..

LOL Finny...........you trying to offend everyone?

You should look up Flanders and Swan on YouTube...video of 'A Song of Patriotic Prejudice'.

And NO.......not fanning the Brexit flames.

Still plenty at the Newcastle under Lyme branch. Relieved them of a few today

You need 100kg for 200 colonies yet BF needs 200kg for 12!?!

You should use your brain and think.....100kg for 200 colonies is madness. Works out at 0.5 kg (about a lb) per hive and you believe it?. I need to update my hive numbers...

Back