Successful cut out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Managed to remove a colony from the space between a window and shutters.

Half of the comb had a some time collapsed and was on the windowsill, it has been emptied by the bees so just wax to recover.

I recovered brood in all stages and tied it into 6 National frames, also 3 gallon buckets of honey filled comb. The queen was not seen but once all the comb had been removed I brushed the bees into the box then left it on the windowsill for an hour. When I got back all but a handful of bees were in the box, so I'm hopeful.

From a previous MJBee post:

I am going to an empty house tomorrow to remove a colony that has set up house in the space between some shutters and a closed window - should be fun.

As the house is empty I can get at it from inside - no ladders whooopeee

So odds are it was empty when the bees took up residence.

RAB

Nice one Mike, haven't had any of those this year, and for those in the UK it's quite common here with holiday homes and other empty properties where the shutters are left closed, (as they would be).

Chris

Nice job Mike - especially the finding some time to stop and take photos!

not worthy

Hi ,
I was really interested in this process. I was called out to a church building where bees had made home behind a blocked in window. I think at least parts of the window were still there, but I never got as far as taking off the board inside ( it was really, really high up ( cherry picker needed!) so access really had to be from inside. The bees were only really causing a problem because they had found a way into the building which was being used as a mums and tots drop in centre. They decided just to block the hole inside in the end.

My question is, how do you tie the comb into frames?
Well done, Mike on your 'rescue'!

hi Gill , to do a cut out I use a carving knife , and cut the comb to the size of the frame, on the frame I put elastic bands(usually two sometimes three) put the comb into the frame opening and hold it in place with the bands . place in the hive or nuc box and the bees will build out into the frame and remove the bands ,
The cut outs dont need to be exact but it helps to keep damaging the brood to a minimum. hope this helps:)

OK, my method is to take some frames without wires or foundation.

Knock in small headed tacks down both outside faces of the frames.

Zig zag wire the frames one side only in advance.

Having removed all stores and placed in plastic boxes cut sections of brood and fit into frame and then zig zag wire in the open side which then holds the comb in place. Wire and pins should be stainless steel.

If this isn't clear I'll do some photos later.

Chris

Save time found this on the web, more or less the same principle only not a full size frame and using string.

string-web-for-bee-hive-cut-out%208-7-2009%2011-51-13%20AM.JPG

Source.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=24179.0

Chris

Thanks so much for that. Next time I get a call to a similar situation, I'll have some idea what to do after getting the bees out of the area!

I use string, but wire or elastic bands all do the job of holding the pieces of comb that have brood in the correct place for the bees to "weld" them to the frame. I cycle them out of the hive as soon as they are empty and replace with new foundation.

Update:- Queen has not been seen but there are eggs everywhere so it is a queenright colony.
14lbs of honey was recovered from the comb and the wax is in the solar extractor waiting for some sunshine ( should be about 2lbs.)

especailly in such a lovely part of the world!!!!!

Houses are cheap at the moment with prices still falling, it's a buyers market and you can get a lot for not a lot....

...and West Sussex is nice as well.

Chris

Back