Sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to an interesting talk today on Oxalic uses for dealing with varroa. Trickling and spraying were ok but sublimation did seem to have best results even using a lesser strength dosage.

Downside.. although I don't mind buying the heating element, I need an expensive (£50) nose and mouth mask, and be able to lug a car battery through a wood.

Does anyone have any other means of vaporising the crystals into the hive??

You would still need the mask to be safe if you are vaporising.

do a search on g ooo gle for organic acid masks loads on there of the right spec

I would advise you to get a full face mask if possible, Heather.

Thanks Veg....
and the car battery problem??? Even getting one out of the car into a wheelbarrow would be too heavy for me...but I await your ideas... doing good so far. xx

What sort of ground do you have to go over, I have a sack truck with pneumatic wheels that I have used to move loads of supers over uneven ground. A car battery would be no problem and you wouldnt be carrying it.

I wheelbarrow supers of honey along a bumpy track, about 300 yds... but why wouldn't I have to lift the battery out of the car..( Oh where is that strong man when you need him) I suspect it might be too heavy for me.
Just wondered if there is any other way to heat the metal base?

Heather, thanks an interesting option but although I've only done it for two years, winter trickling 21 days after the first proper frost has been a 100% success so can't see the point in changing
....and I'm sure my free travelcard won't cover a trip to Wales to borrow Craig's barrow!
rich

edit

just realised I haven't got a car either!!!

Last edited:
sorry heather I meant you wouldnt have to carry the battery along the track. If you can carry a super you should be able to lift a battery out of the boot onto a sack truck/wheelbarrow, not much difference in weight.

Yes, Rich.. I have successful trickled,reduced varroa to keep the hive very viable .. but the university research seemed to prove that there was a higher loss of varroa with a lower dosage of OA and I felt that must be beneficial to my bees, so worth a shot.

I don't mind buying the equipment ( shopping around for best price for good quality), but its the weight of a battery from car to transporter that is my problem... just wondering if alternative to a battery, but not my area of expertise so putting to the forum. If no possible answer, will think again.

OK veg, will give it a go then....please dont mention Health and Safety:rules:

Last edited:
Thanks Veg....
and the car battery problem??? Even getting one out of the car into a wheelbarrow would be too heavy for me...but I await your ideas... doing good so far. xx
I just bought two smaller size batteries which have carrying handles
Alphaline 063 12v 44ah - Heavy Duty Car Battery
About £35 online each
While you are using one the other is charging

Went to an interesting talk today on Oxalic uses for dealing with varroa. Trickling and spraying were ok but sublimation did seem to have best results even using a lesser strength dosage.

Downside.. although I don't mind buying the heating element, I need an expensive (£50) nose and mouth mask, and be able to lug a car battery through a wood.

Does anyone have any other means of vaporising the crystals into the hive??

Battery size is related to power input of the heater and duration of heating cycle. Are you sure a car battery is required? Ni-cad or ni-mh batteries might be sufficient or is there a vaporizer on the market which uses another energy source such as propane?

Yes, Rich.. I have successful trickled,reduced varroa to keep the hive very viable .. but the university research seemed to prove that there was a higher loss of varroa with a lower dosage of OA and I felt that must be beneficial to my bees, so worth a shot.

I don't mind buying the equipment ( shopping around for best price for good quality), but its the weight of a battery from car to transporter that is my problem... just wondering if alternative to a battery, but not my area of expertise so putting to the forum. If no possible answer, will think again.

OK veg, will give it a go then....please dont mention Health and Safety:rules:

Its probably a similar weight of a full super Heather and I bet you throw them around on a good day.

I guess you have to balance the greater efficiency of vaporised OA over dribbled and therefore is the battery worth the effort over the syringe?

Personally I consider myself fortunate or lucky but have managed without the need to use OA apart from last year when I did a few hives and was not happy using it and the bees not happy receiving it.

Battery size is related to power input of the heater and duration of heating cycle. Are you sure a car battery is required? Ni-cad or ni-mh batteries might be sufficient or is there a vaporizer on the market which uses another energy source such as propane?

http://www.biovet.ch/en/images/stories/products/Varrox/PDF/Varrox-Verdampfer.pdf

this is the varrox user instructions have a look at page 8, it explains it needs 150w to work and a 12v car battery is the best thing, and this is the product that the big T sells and the one that LASI at the Uni of Sussex used for their tests.

H.....ok, so well worth trying./...can you do half and half and let us know how it compares?

You really need a car battery for the Varrox type anyway :)
Scott Safety ABEK1P3 Respirator Mask Kit about £27 you get them on ebay but make sure it's genuine article

You really need a car battery for the Varrox type anyway :)
Scott Safety ABEK1P3 Respirator Mask Kit about £27 you get them on ebay but make sure it's genuine article

Or a 12volt motorcycle battery at much less weight. The heating cycle is quoted as 2.5 minutes so consumes 5.2A-h. Nowhere near car battery capacity unless you are doing a number of hives.

I have a feeling the reason a car battery is suggested over a motorcycle is that most beeks have them to hand, well in their car and most beeks that have out apiaries would drive to them most times I would think. The cost of the varrox is also quite high the big t sells it at £132 so not something most small beekeepers would buy I would think. your looking at the total cost of over £160 with cost of mask which is getting very expensive for a 1 or 2 hive owner, but a beeks with 20 or more it would seem more viable.

Latest posts

Back