Stupidity of members of the public

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
One of our swarm collectors went out this afternoon to the local High Street and caught a swarm on a bus shelter then put it into a Nuc, police taped off the area and the nuc was left to settle to be collected at dusk, every going well

Just heard from the local press that a woman who is a vegan and who thinks beekeeper keeping bees is cruel has crossed the police tape line picked up the nuc and removed the roof to free the bees, she has been badly stung , dropping the nuc, the frames and all bees spilled out....now total mayhem in local High Street

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Local police to me expect the bees to be taken away straight away.

Times I have had swarms on the public highway they have had to be boxed and taken and any straggler bees hopefully go back to the hive. I don't get a choice they wont even allow the area to be taped off.

Times I have had swarms on the public highway they have had to be boxed and taken and any straggler bees hopefully go back to the hive. I don't get a choice they wont even allow the area to be taped off.

Need to make a 'Bee Vac' - I'm looking into making one

just got the news that it has been sorted by an 86 year old beekeeper before the collector got there, all frames and bees now back in box and on way to our quarantine apiary. the bees ran into the box once upright and frames replaced, so queen is i suspect still alive

i understand the women was shouting it is crue to keep bees in a box before you did her deed

just got the news that it has been sorted, all frames and bees now back in box and on way to our quarantine apiary. the bees ran into the box once upright and frames replaced, so queen is i suspect still alive

Good to hear that.

Any news of the silly bint?
How bad were the stings? I hope they were enough to be a good lesson, though I don't wish her any serious damage.

I think if I had that attitude from the Police, I'd suggest that they removed the bees themselves and walk away.

CVB

So, You should ban that lady to go in the ZOO? Imagine what doors there she could open.. Freeee...

You made my night. Delighted she got a good lesson. Righteousness is a crippling disease and loads of people suffer from it. She might let people alone the next time she considers "freeing" their animals.

I think if I had that attitude from the Police, I'd suggest that they removed the bees themselves and walk away.

CVB

we have a similar problem in central london with the congestion charge, you get a request from Met police to go to a swarm in regents street etc and when you get there its gone and you have a a bill of £11.50 for entering the central congestion zone ( £25 from 2020 for non EURO 6 diesels and £12.50 for withing the north circular) )

Will the police/GLA wave that charge , no, even though the may have called you out

the local association often tells the MET police we cannot come and no one will volunteer to pick them up and then gives details of local pest controllers They then get the Commissioner of police on the phone." my officers are being stung, what are you going to do about it"..sorry we are a voluntary service and do this unpaid, no one is preapred to collect them suggest you contact the local offices an see who has bees on the roof near the swarm. We get calls from central london as far out as 15miles from central london ( that can be a 2 hour drive in rush hour)

Last edited:
There are simply certain places where a box cannot be left alone for public safety.

Latest posts

Back