Storm Francis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hope everyone's bees are safe. Currently, all I can think of are the poor Collared Doves nesting in my Rowan tree. Now anyone who has seen their nests will know they are far from sturdy, just a little raft made with thin twigs.
They turned up nearly two weeks ago, have eggs and already rode out Storm Ellen, the wind tonight is something else! Watched with my heart in my mouth as they swapped shifts!! That was bad enough but within minutes, the wind was so fierce it was lifting the entire branch, tipping the nest right up on edge. Wind has died down now, just an occasional blast, I checked at last light and she/he was still there.
All I want to see now is they are all intact in the morning.

I do hope they’re ok. I really like collared doves, they are such inoffensive birds and heavily predated.
It’s amazing how their nests do stay in one piece in wind at all, but last night was excessive.
Cheers Steve.

It was heart breaking to watch. I know they had at least one egg. From my back doorstep I am eye level with the nest, it's about fifteen yards away so with binoculars I was able to see how they were doing and last night was horrific.
Sadly this morning there is no sign of them or eggs in the nest or on the ground but I suppose they/it could have been thrown anywhere. Their scant little nest is still there, intact. So sad.

It was heart breaking to watch. I know they had at least one egg. From my back doorstep I am eye level with the nest, it's about fifteen yards away so with binoculars I was able to see how they were doing and last night was horrific.
Sadly this morning there is no sign of them or eggs in the nest or on the ground but I suppose they/it could have been thrown anywhere. Their scant little nest is still there, intact. So sad.
What a shame. Still doves can nest and breed over a long period, so I guess they’ll start again.

Latest posts

Back