Storing Supers in Bin Liners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycadman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In the past I have stored my supers in my shed with newspaper/crownboards/Queen Excluders between.

I am interested in the technique of using bin liners instead as discussed in other threads. However, my concern is that if you do this it cuts down on the circulation of air. This may lead to the build up of fungi etc. on the combs.

Is my assumption correct or do the combs come through the winter in good condition?

If they are dry before storage they will stay dry.

That said, you can't see if there is a problem until they are opened up. I no longer use them.

RAB

I got an old pallet, made several 18 inch square 5 ply lids and stick them under and on top of the heaps of boxes on the pallet in my garage, wet, dry or whatever. Never had a problem. Would be the same in a decent shed, especially as it would probably get frosted.

I store my supers wrapped in the plastic sleeve from the drycleaners, saved up throughout the year.

With the clear side uppermost and a double-wrap (one sleeve pulled on each way over the super) and then taped up tight, it is a lightweight, practical and recycled solution.

It is also economical and allows the beekeeper to see into the super and combs.

Many thanks for the responses, bin liners seem to be OK then.

Just wanted to use them in the short term while I'm short of crown boards and queen excluders. That should change soon! You have to be careful about the bags ripping, however.

Will probably return to the stacking method for the winter.

Just make sure the mice can't get in.

I alway put my supers back on the hive to clean.
Then put them in giant Bin Liners.
Some supers I have not used for 2 years and are fine.

Latest posts

Back