Storing Brood Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyGoat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The brood box taken off my hive for winter had frames with partial amounts of pollen which have now gone mouldy and are ruined. I guess I will now have to strip the frames a rewax for next year unless there is a magic cure?

Can anyone offer advice on how to handle and store these for the future.

Thanks
Billy

There have been a number of threads on this e.g. scrape off the pollen cells before storing or freeze the frames if you have the space, or use sulphur strips etc

Any frames with pollen in will get some mould if not in the hive. Only way I know to keep them without them going mouldy is in the freezer.

a magic cure?

Just wash/scrape off/spray those areas affected. The bees will rebuild the wax.

Work your old frames (ones to be replaced) to those areas next year, if you are worried about a few sheets of foundation with some pollen in them. They may look bad, but the bees will generally clean them up, especially if given some assistance.

RAB

My no.1 favourite method of storing brood frames is to let the bees do it, likewise to get moldy pollen cleaned up = let the bees do it. A good strong box of bees will turn a manky looking lot of frames into tickity boo, perfectly servicable frames in no time( given there's enough bees and some incentive for them to do it e.g. a flow or feed to store or an expanding brood nest)
Any used brood frames are a magnet to wax moths so I prefer to have them on bees( obviously making sure-as always-if moving brood frames between hives there's no likelyhood of transfering disease)

Thanks to all who replied with advice.

Will try the clean and scrape and give them back to the bees to sort.

Billy

Back