Stocking an observation hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it best to use an old or new queen to stock an observation hive? (4 frame observation hive BS deep)

Any advice would be welcome.
Many thanks
Adrian

Is it best to use an old or new queen to stock an observation hive? (4 frame observation hive BS deep)

Any advice would be welcome.
Many thanks
Adrian

Is this going to be a permanant hive?

I would introduce the queen to the bees in a nuc box before you house them in the obs hive otherwise you will have to open it up again to retrieve the cage or release her if the bees dont.

when we use them at shows, we just put a dot on a drone, queens are far too precious to chance in one of those

You have to be joking.

The purpose of the obs hive is to inform and educate the public.

If you are going to give them totally false information then you would be better not having an observation hive.

I hope to keep them going for at least the summer; the obs hive is in my bee shed. I can choose a 2 year old queen or a new one or pop in a queen cell. Just wondering if there was anyone on the forum who has experience of using a longterm obs hive and can provide me with any advice.
Adrian

I hope to keep them going for at least the summer; the obs hive is in my bee shed. I can choose a 2 year old queen or a new one or pop in a queen cell. Just wondering if there was anyone on the forum who has experience of using a longterm obs hive and can provide me with any advice.
Adrian

I have an obs hive in my lounge which I kep going all year.

Observation hive with bees

Decided to put in a new queen; they have all settled in and seem to be very happy.

I don't know yet; I will see how they get on. I thought some covers / insulation might be helpful to the bees. Do you have any tips for keeping them going all year?
Cheers Adrian

Mine are indoors so no need for covers or insulation but it looks as if you have your in a shed, or is your lounge more untidy than mine?

Use some Kingspan each side.

If you go for all year you will probably need to split twice a year.

Thanks Dishmop, I will bear that in mind come the spring.

Hi Adie,

I am envious! Had an obs hive in the bedroom, many years ago, when we had sash windows. Haven't been able to bring myself to drill a hole in the plastic ones yet.

One thing that occurred to me was that there seems to be a large gap between the side-bars of the frames and the frame of the hive. Plenty of space for brace comb....

Apologies if my eyes fail me and it is blanked off!

Hi Adie,

I am envious! Had an obs hive in the bedroom, many years ago, when we had sash windows. Haven't been able to bring myself to drill a hole in the plastic ones yet.

One thing that occurred to me was that there seems to be a large gap between the side-bars of the frames and the frame of the hive. Plenty of space for brace comb....

The entrance to mine used to be thro the window frame but then we had plastic ones fittet so I drilled a hole thro the brickwork..

Interesting thread as I am making an eight frame observation hive at the moment and destined to be a public OH in a park at Ealing. Just waiting for the contractors to build the shed so it can be set up.

The entrance to mine used to be thro the window frame but then we had plastic ones fittet so I drilled a hole thro the brickwork..

I thought of the wall, but mine is 30 inches of stone...

The other option I have considered is to see if I can get a double glazed unit made with a purpose-built hole in it!!

Interesting thread as I am making an eight frame observation hive at the moment and destined to be a public OH in a park at Ealing. Just waiting for the contractors to build the shed so it can be set up.

All that space..

Build a shed and put some bees in it.

Hi Adie,

Yes there are quite a few large gaps; I think it must be rather old and perhaps a home made job. I mended a few bits and thought I would see if it worked. It seems to be made out of some very nice hardwood and looks like it has been reglazed in the past. It was in a pretty terrible state when I got it and I thought it was a shame not to restore the hive and see if the bees tolerated it. It will be interesting to see how they get on.

Watch them when they start walking on that top frame with new foundation. They dont get a very good grip and fall off.

Latest posts

Back