starter strips for heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi all. i am considering using starter strips to collect my heather crop later on this year.
has anyone done this and how did you find it? i am considering using half strips half foundation to make for straight comb.

Ill be using national poly broodboxes as supers so the height from the bottom of the box to the strip could be a large consideration?

So for cut comb? Shallows are considered better than deeps as they are not always completed and capped off, dependent on the weather (topical, this year - and, NO, I didn't leave out an 'r'!!).

I understand shallows are prefered but because of my own decisions i am trying to run one size box.
And that box it a nat brood for now anyway.
I know the strips work well enough in super boxes as i have seen it done and even redone ie (wait for super to fill cap then in the feild cut out the comb and replace the frame to be refilled.)
This was more aimed at will it work well with brood length frames?

cut comb is the aim.

I think all of this a poor idea.

You will find supers much easier to manage, and for the cost of the foundation and the achievable price of the end product a far better presented item.

There is being cheap and cheerful and there is a well presented premium product achieving a premium price.

PH

Your choice. If it were to turn out tropical, it would likely be too hot for heather!! Good luck.

Clive de Bruyn talks about this in his book.

Back