Ss honey gate valve

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I purchased a SS honey gate valve and what a load of rubbish
The pivot point is a cheap screw with a spring washer and plain nut and not fit for purpose as every time it is operated the screw becomes looser and then leaks, I will have to modify it by drilling it out to the next size taping a thread in the base and locking a stud in place and use a wing nut with nylon and SS washer and using a wing nut to adjust tension
How can such reputable beekeeping shops sell such rubbish, don't they ever open a box and and have a look at what they are selling.

Anyone else find this problem

The pivot point is a cheap screw with a spring washer and plain nut and not fit for purpose as every time it is operated the screw becomes looser and then leaks, I will have to modify it by drilling it out to the next size taping a thread in the base and locking a stud in place and use a wing nut with nylon and SS washer and using a wing nut to adjust tension
How can such reputable beekeeping shops sell such rubbish, don't they ever open a box and and have a look at what they are selling.

Stainless steel?

Yes stainless steel it looks like it has missed part of the manufacturing process or just a reject, easy fix for me and not prepared to say who as usually they are a good company but if anyone else has had the same thing then I would inform them of the fault

Yes stainless steel it looks like it has missed part of the manufacturing process or just a reject, easy fix for me and not prepared to say who as usually they are a good company but if anyone else has had the same thing then I would inform them of the fault

There's a fair few coming out of China now .... there's been a few complaints on some USA forums ... Just got to look on alibaba.com - trouble is there are some very good ones alongside the really crap ones !!

Wouldn't it be less work to swap the plain nut for a nylok?

I guess you have contacted the supplier already and would hope they have offered a replacement or come to a satisfactory situation for the both of you. They just may be very happy to be told that they may have a faulty batch or a rouge valve.

Someone I (and Redwood) know bought a S/S valve (not the Waffen variety) not so long ago - that leaked as the 'O' ring was faulty, maybe they should compare notes - they're not cheap you know!

How can such reputable beekeeping shops sell such rubbish

Just like all the other shops.
Without too much difficulty.

I bought a polycarbonate version from ebay (was recommended on THIS forum!!!)
Has similar issues. Wrong kind of washer so does seal... the washer is round (rather than square edges) and too big for the hole.
The locking mechanism cannot work without two hands... kind of misses out on the point!

Currently thrown in the back of the garage. Still looking for a new one that does work!!

In my opinion the mark of a good company is what they do when things go wrong.

If it is faulty, and they are a good company, then in my view the publicity about how good they were in fixing the problem matters much more than hiding the issue and letting someone else come across the same problem days months or years later.

The level of trust I have in one UK supplier is zero. They eventually instructed me not to buy from them again. Not a problem. Nor is it for dozens of others who now routinely avoid them like the plague.

Attention to detail at the production stage, proper quality control, not pissing the customer about when the problem was obvious to anyone with an IQ in double digits and above all a proactive approach to fixing the problem could have very easily given this supplier an extra few thousand pounds worth of extra sales in the past four years. It could also have even given them in excess of 40k's worth more sales via an association.

P.S. The paint sample, transferred to a bit of paper, sat on a shelf on my desk for four years and two months is STILL tacky. 'fit for purpose' it was not.

Hi Martin,

PM coming. I like to know who to avoid. I already have my suspicions, just need confirmation.

Possibly the same company that advertised 0.25mm as 1mm then changed it to 0.5mm on being told of their, err, mistake (how can you have a stack of the things and mistake the gross thickness by a factor of four!

This time it cannot be the same company as it doesn't come under the right category in my book.

RAB

Latest posts

Back