Splitting after uniting a Q- hive with a very strong Q+ hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I will be inspecting a weak, possible Q- hive later today. If I decide to combine it with a strong Q+ hive (after testing with a frame of eggs/larvae), what is the best way to revert to two Q+ hives further downstream?

I don’t have another suitable site over 3 Km away, nor do I have a spare Q.

Both hives are 14x12 Nationals

Over to the collective wisdom of the forum.... and thank you!

[and no - I can’t sleep due to pondering the various options/modalities..!]

Last edited:
I would build up the weak hive by adding bees and soon to emerge capped brood, then just add the breeding stock of my choice, in a suitable orientation, with the hives next door to each other

First make sure the weaker hive is healthy. No point in wasting resources on it if it is not. Put it in a nuc and requeen. Imported queens are available now to tide you over. If you want to go down the route of bolstering it with a frame of brood from a strong hive it should be emerging brood.

The easiest way to revert to two hives from a double brood is just to split them. One will have the queen, even better if you do it when swarm control is needed. Keep an eye on both hives saving the best queen cell in the queen less hive and making sure the queen right hive does not swarm.

Back