Split sugar bags

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have asked my local Texxo`s (the uk`s leading supermarket) if i can have all the damaged or split sugar bags, the manager has agreed to let me have them in principle, but wants me to find out if anyone else has a similar arrangement with one of their stores,(or any other supermarket) as he does not want to be the first to allow it, (health and safety and all that and does not want to be sued if his sugar kills my bees !) so if anyone has such an arrangement can you let me have the details so i can pass it on to him, and then i can have all the unwanted sugar for my bees. :) Chris

Admin/Mod if this post is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the correct one.

I am sure I have seen another thread reporting this arrangement.

I am over in Ireland and did the same thing although I did email Tesco's head office in Dublin and asked them. I then recieved a phone call and they told me to contact the local store manager and they actually thought it was a good idea.

I spoke to the store manager in person and they were more then happy to oblige as the sugar is normally thrown out. I have given them some honey in exchange

I asked at Tossco and Morrismen and got dusty answers from both, though a Manager in the latter said to write in and they might give me a voucher for £10 towards the BKA apiary upkeep. As for the tossers at Tossco, I actually saw spilt sugar alll around a pallet but they wouldn' t even let me have that - 'elf and safety of course. They don't care abiout the plight of bees really, even if it might mean their veggies and fruit disappear from the face of the earth.

My local Tresos refused point blank - twice to me and once to a friend who is one of their supervisors, i also wrote to them about a donation to al ocal good cause I'm working on - they didn't even bother replying.
Maybe someone should tell them not to p**ss off a local councillor :banghead:

Tax Inspector
Local Councillor
Bee Farmer
This is some portfolio that you are growing Jenks'

The arrangement exists with a couple of BKA members in my area. As a result 80k or my 200k last year was heavily subsidised by unknown supermarkets and brought a benefit to my BKA. Win win all round.

i work for sa*n***rys and my manager lets me do that the only problem is its beet sugar and only good for jam and booze making

i work for sa*n***rys and my manager lets me do that the only problem is its beet sugar and only good for jam and booze making

My bees didn't complain at being given beet sugar this winter - it's the same stuff once it's processed surely - just a smaller carbon footprint.

Absolutely not so.........thats old percieved wisdom based on someones opinion years ago.

It may interest you to know that Api-Invert and Ambrosia............and others....are entirely made from beet sugar.

Also...........unless explicitly said on the packet that it is cane, which used to be only Tate and Lyle anyway, all the sugar in the supermarkets is beet.

Nothing wrong with Beet suger, Tescos on the otherhand leaves much to be desired when it comes to treating beekeepers.

Beekeepers or local communities ! No one wanted them in the local village , the parish , district and county council told them No !
So they went to their special friend Mr Prescott (well know friend of the shires)and he forced it through .

Tescos , I wouldnt darken their door .
G

I have asked my local Texxo`s (the uk`s leading supermarket) if i can have all the damaged or split sugar bags, the manager has agreed to let me have them in principle, but wants me to find out if anyone else has a similar arrangement with one of their stores,(or any other supermarket) as he does not want to be the first to allow it, (health and safety and all that and does not want to be sued if his sugar kills my bees !) so if anyone has such an arrangement can you let me have the details so i can pass it on to him, and then i can have all the unwanted sugar for my bees. :) Chris

Admin/Mod if this post is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the correct one.

You may have to do a bit of searching, but there have been plenty of posts in the past from folks claiming to get free sugar from their local supermarket. Don't recall if any were Tescos specifically though

"Appears to be at the discretion of the local Manager."

perhaps if you offer to do a no-strings unpaid period of work experience they might be more amenable.

Thanks Guy`s i now have a couple of names of stores that do let beekeepers have damaged bags of sugar, so i can inform my local manager, and hopefully start receiving my sugar, i think it is very much up to the local manager when it comes to things like this, i can totally understand his stance as he told me, he was letting a well known charity have all the "past the sell by date" fruit and vegetables, only to discover that they had complained to head office saying that he was not giving them enough cauliflowers !, so there are a few good ones out there, and don`t forget every little helps :) Chris

I approached the store manager in the shrewsbury branch of Asda last week about damaged sugar. I received a 'jobs worth' story abouthis job and litigation, I did inform him my bees were not part of any union organisation but he would not budge.

terry

I asked at my local Tesco last week and was told they have to go in the bin. I might try asking a different person!

I asked 2 local supermarkets today (one is tesco) .

Both said the same, any splits we get we put in the staff canteen and the staff use them for their brews!

What about a local bakery? The sugar used to dust doughrings can't be used in brews!

Latest posts

Back