Spiced metheglin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi. I've been trying to find a decent recipe for a spiced metheglin. Most of the recipes that come up on google advise you to boil the honey. I don't think they can be written by people that know much about honey as I'd have thought it would destroy the honeys aroma. Has anyone made something like this. I really liked the spiced mead from lindisfarne and I fancied having a go at brewing my own.

Make up the methelgin to the recipe with the spices, cloves mace nutmeg not too much star anise and of course lots of cinnamon! only use half of the honey... allow to cool and then add the extra honey?
I have used one of the "Champagne" sparkling wine yeasts and have made some really good stuff!

Yeghes da

( for those who have no Cornish ... that's cheers!)

Nice one cheers. I've also found a recipe for an 'apple pie' flavoured mead. You purposefully boil 1lb of honey to get a caramel flavour. Should be an interesting one.

Also, after racking for secondary fermentation, is it normal to top the demi john up back to capacity with tap water and can I use apple/orange juice instead or will this kill the yeast? Cheers

What ever you add should be sterile to avoid introducing wild yeast or vinegar bacteria. So if water use cooled boiled water

Back