Soft Set Consistency

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnabill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm probably over thinking, as usual, but what would be the correct consistency of soft set honey? Mine is a light lemon curd colour, smooth and when spooned stays nicely (clings) on the spoon without any dripping (apologies for the level of description). I'm wondering if it should be firmer, as in a bit more effort to get it on the spoon? Is there an accepted standard?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, I just want to get it right!

Thanks.

The honey should have a "butter" texture with no movement in the jar. There must be uniformity of colour, cream to white, with no air spaces or bubbles at the sides of the jars. There should be a clean dry surface

Excuse the slightly pompous tone - but I've just copied it from the BBKA judge's notes

No excuses needed. That sounds like what to aim for. Any mention of a favoured colour.

Thanks

No excuses needed. That sounds like what to aim for. Any mention of a favoured colour.

Thanks
as it says - cream to white, I've seen some honeys as white as chalk - but that's where the flavour comes in, doesn't matter how white it is, if it's bland, you might as well spread refined lard on your toast.

Thanks
Are you eating it rather than showing?
I have soft set dandelion honey that is yellow. Photo here It’s wonderful. I always thought it depended on the honey. Maybe I’m wrong. I make soft set every year and I’ve never had it white, but then I don’t have OSR

Dani, I'm eating, wouldn't have the confidence to show. I do like the taste, but was unsure of how it ought to look, I've been keeping it in the garage to get it to set and I've enjoyed trying something, for me, that's different. Any idea of the consistency if the ratio is increased from 10% seed?

Dani, I'm eating, wouldn't have the confidence to show. I do like the taste, but was unsure of how it ought to look, I've been keeping it in the garage to get it to set and I've enjoyed trying something, for me, that's different. Any idea of the consistency if the ratio is increased from 10% seed?
it should be the same consistency regardless of the seed ratio - just the lower the ratio the longer it takes to set

I'm probably over thinking, as usual, but what would be the correct consistency of soft set honey? Mine is a light lemon curd colour, smooth and when spooned stays nicely (clings) on the spoon without any dripping (apologies for the level of description). I'm wondering if it should be firmer, as in a bit more effort to get it on the spoon? Is there an accepted standard?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, I just want to get it right!

Thanks.
Excuse the slightly pompous tone - but I've just copied it from the BBKA judge's notes
If you are eating rather than selling or showing then Shirley there is no need for a precise definition of consistency or colour?
I find my soft set varies in consistency even though I follow the same preparation method. Sometimes it moves slightly if the jar is tipped - what's wrong with that?
As for colour, my spring honey is cream colour but just half an hour ago I seeded a honey bucket of honey taken off in August which is decidedly brown.

Thanks all, interesting replies, especially about different colours. I suppose I'm happier if I think I'm going in the right direction and having some reference points does that for me.

For showing, a honey show judge has told me try to avoid the white colour with softset as some judges have been known (wrongly) to assume it's pure oil seed rape and not even bother looking at it.

I’m new to the forum, and one of my goals is to learn more about creamed or soft set honey. (I don’t know the difference!) I’ve made creamed and it is a good consistency. I’d like to sell it but worry about it separating while it is on a store shelf. Where on the forum could I learn more?

I’m new to the forum, and one of my goals is to learn more about creamed or soft set honey. (I don’t know the difference!) I’ve made creamed and it is a good consistency. I’d like to sell it but worry about it separating while it is on a store shelf. Where on the forum could I learn more?
Try here. From an old forum member, Rooftops

Honey, soft set properly, won’t separate.
OSR is treated differently and I have no experience of that.

Try here. From an old forum member, Rooftops

Thank you. This video as excellent. We’ve tried to make and sell only raw, unpasteurized honey. This product may be the exception. What is OSR?

Honey, soft set properly, won’t separate.
OSR is treated differently and I have no experience of that.
I beg to differ. I had soft set separate this Summer, I think because it was jarred and stored in a garage that retained a higher than normal temperature throughout the hot spell.
I made enquiries about it and found another local beekeeper had to take back soft set honey from a shop that had displayed it in the shop window. The warmth again being blamed for the honey separation.
(My bees don’t have access to OSR.)

You have a point. A lesson in not keeping your honey anywhere hot
yup, it all depends on the honey, I had two different sets of soft set at the Royal Welsh this year, one lot started separating after a day (I think that is why I only got a second in the commercial mixed type section) and the other (which got a first and a second) was good until the end and actually went on to win the Gower show as well

Back