Snelgrove board swarm control.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
I had a hive with queen cells last friday, i done everything by the book using a snelgrove board, checked the box with the old queen in it today and there is more queen cells started,
I have never used this method before, any idea why they are drawing more queen cells and does the snelgrove board normally work?

Darren

So you are making AS. The board gives no added Value on AS making.
You do AS in old site with foundations, then lift brood hive over the board or you move brood hive 3 metres away.

I do not like snelgrove swarming cutting, because to inspect the lower hive is laborous.

System gives no savings in hive furnitures. In AS I use styrororm insulation board as roof. It take couple of minutes cut such piece of board.

In small hive cases the board has advantage, because hiveparts heat each others.

Normally works for me but not done any this season yet. Has the q- hive drawn emergency cells? You could re-introduce her to that colony if you knock those cells down as per the procedure.

Latest posts

Back