Smoke substitutes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
No, not nicotine patches. A while ago there was a discussion about smoke alternatives, I thought it was about time for a review.

If you have used liquid smoke, water with clove oil, or anything else- do you still, or have you gone back to smoke- or gone to using nothing?

All experiences welcome.

I occasionally use water with a few drops of the essential oil of lemon ! In a small garden spray/mister.
Not to be confused with citronella !!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cover cloths.
Smoke.:smash:. using rotten tree in smoker is when they are being really piggy. Very rare.

I bought a couple of sachets of liquid smoke as an experiment, one to a litre of water in a hand sprayer.
Useful if my smoker goes out at a crucial moment but I have not done a control experiment with water spray only.

The lady on the IWF vid ,says it all Pargyle old thing :) .
She handles bees expertly and with purpose, no protective clothing of any kind.
Guess what ? She's always uses her smoker , also expertly and with purpose :)
The again she can't afford to play around crooning to a couple of colonies.
One day your bees will erupt ,it's written in the stars . Once cruising with evil intent ,mayhem breaks out . You will be clad in protective clothing but will others including animals be likewise?.
It really isn't worth the risk .
VM

Smoke before, avoid during, but use a plain-water mister lightly to clear topbars during inspection and particularly re-assembly.

Sounds about right :)
Vm

I always take a lit smoker but rarely use it. If repeated use is required for a particular hive I re-queen with better tempered queen.

The temper of the queen is only part of the equation , the workers gene mix is the result of matings with up to 15 drones that throws up a variety of temperaments !
Not all workers in a colony will be aggressive , problem is the whole colony gets maligned.
VM

The lady on the IWF vid ,says it all Pargyle old thing :) .
She handles bees expertly and with purpose, no protective clothing of any kind.
Guess what ? She's always uses her smoker , also expertly and with purpose :)
The again she can't afford to play around crooning to a couple of colonies.
One day your bees will erupt ,it's written in the stars . Once cruising with evil intent ,mayhem breaks out . You will be clad in protective clothing but will others including animals be likewise?.
It really isn't worth the risk .
VM

I agree ...

What I didn't say was that my smoker is always lit and sat on top of the compost bin about 10 feet away, just not needed ... I'm not under any illusion that bees can turn on a whim and whilst I consider myself lucky ... there's lucky and stupid .. I'd no more open the hive and inspect my bees without a full suit on than I would use an angle grinder without eye protection ! Having said that - my bees are remarkably docile and a number of beekeeping friends have commented that they are a real delight to handle. On drugs I think !

That's better .
My post was aimed at newbies who could have taken no smoke as the holy grail and quickly come to grief :)
VM

That's better .
My post was aimed at newbies who could have taken no smoke as the holy grail and quickly come to grief :)
VM

Yep you are right ...the were bees on the rape at the association apiary today ... all over us and wouldn't behave without a bit of smoke ... one little darling had a go at stinging me on the chin through my veil .. she managed a half hearted job of it but not too serious.

Bit like a fire extinguisher for me ... hope I don't ever need it but it's there just in case....

One vid showing the IWF lass inspecting a colony on the rape had her bee suit on but the veil was thrown back !
VM

One vid showing the IWF lass inspecting a colony on the rape had her bee suit on but the veil was thrown back !
VM

Haaa ... she wouldn't have had her veil down where I was today ... ankles, fingers, pinging everywhere they could get ! It was manageable but it would probably have been better inspecting late morning than mid afternoon ... huge field of rape just the other side of the hedge and in full bloom....

Back