small scale grain growing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
a friend and I are looking into a small scale experiement on grain growing for a laugh mainly

any way. after doing shed loads of research i am as ever still confused with certian points.

does anyone know of a name for a long stork wheat and or a supplier of a couple of kilos say 25kg to 50kg

barley is next on the list, any suggestions of where to go and decide on which one?

oats as well, please

all the grains must be open polinated and able to seed save, i understand with some of the modern ones thats not as easy as it sounds. and i am struggling to find some of the heritage seeds as the research has named a few but are no longer avalible to buy from what i can gather.

also what are the planting rates for the grains we are dealing with small acreage areas here not massive hectares

not sure pete but if you know any thatchers they might put you onto where they get there thatch from and follow down the line until you get to supplier hope that makes sence

petes making mash party time

Have you thought about growing quinoa? We grew some on the allotment last year with great success.

How small is small area? I work sometimes for a farmer that grows thatching straw and we harvest it in the old fashioned way.
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDe_2OVxw8[/ame]

Any agricultural seed merchant should be able to supply you, but at such small quantities you'll pay top prices for it.
If you were closer I'd get some for you from my supplier at wholesale price but even that is going to be high on such a small quantity.

i like the idea of asking another grower but it is a closed shop, due to seed laws it is illegal to sell, buy, gift or give and trade in certain seeds, so a total stranger asking for 10 kilos is going to either get someone arrested or a biff on the nose

area wise for the long stemmed wheat we are looking at roughly 500m2 in a single plot.

i shall have to ask on a forum i use in europe to see what they say as well

You could get a bag of mixed corn meant for chickens and grow lots of types together ;)
It's cheap as chips and easy to grow especially if you have chickens as they will scratch up your grass and spread it around for you. :)

If you have a Countrywide store, Mole Valley or any similar farm shop go in and ask about Straights animal feeds. These are simply one grain rather than mixed, some are pelleted or ground but there is normally a whole grain option for wheat, barley, oats and maize.

There are, as you say, restrictions on selling seed- but not giving it away. If you're prepared to start smaller, maybe consider the option of approaching someone who grows it eg Gyp, or Acton Scott working farm museum, and see if they'll give you some. Grow that, and next year you'll have 10 times as much.

Of course, were some completely unrelated transaction happen to go in their favour, eg a days volunteering, the gift might be bigger...

What happens if it is sold for animal food . . . and some gets spilled on a 500 sq m plot?

its not quite that simple with the seeds, they really are extreamly difficult to get hold of in the uk.

i have though just managed to find a supply in the uk but thats taken me a month on evening internet searching and day time phone calls to do.

by the way 100 straw stems are worth £6 inc postage to people on the tinternet, so how much is a field worth??

Latest posts

Back