Small bunches of bees dying together

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canary Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Didn't know quite what to put in the title and I am not sure what is going on.
We have had heavy showers today and just found small piles of bees about 2 metres away from the hive entrance. They are in clusters of about 20 and barely moving, I don't see that warming them up and giving them a small feed will help anything.

Could this be a swarm that didn't make it very far and then got knocked from a bush?
Groups deciding that their time is up and sitting outside the hive?
A group struggling back in a rain storm but for some reason completely miss the hive?

We have had heavy showers today and just found small piles of bees about 2 metres away from the hive entrance. They are in clusters of about 20 and barely moving, I don't see that warming them up and giving them a small feed will help anything.

Could this be a swarm that didn't make it very far and then got knocked from a bush?
A group struggling back in a rain storm but for some reason completely miss the hive?

You didnt say how many clusters of bees there were, did they have pollen in their baskets at all?

If so, warming them up probably is all they need, its likely that coming back from Rape and heavily laden they could well be dropping short, then a sudden fall of rain is enough to drop the temps in their flight muscles and could be curtains. Bees have a tendency to group up when stranded so could be why it appears so...

Oddly enough have just been out into garden and seen much the same thing.

The temperature here at 5 o'clock was about 18 and the bees were sitting all over the front of the hive...I bet what happened is that the temperature dropped pretty quick and they have got cold...... They might survive overnight or you can collect them in something and give them warmth and a cuddle overnight and let them out tomorrow... If you put one in your hand you can watch it revive.

Funny enough me too? I went out to strim the apiary. & on two hives bees are sitting clustered at the entrance, i thought it was blocked but no, its almost as if the hive is warm & they are staying out in cooler air, very odd, i'll check later. & see if theyve gone in.

Certainly not on the rape at all here. I might go out in the dark for a cuddle.

They were some way away from any hive so falling short but happening to be together is strange.

Funny enough me too? I went out to strim the apiary. & on two hives bees are sitting clustered at the entrance, i thought it was blocked but no, its almost as if the hive is warm & they are staying out in cooler air, very odd, i'll check later. & see if theyve gone in.

You will find this is normal. Very often bees spend early evening mulling round the entrance or bearding down the front of the hive.

You will find this is normal. Very often bees spend early evening mulling round the entrance or bearding down the front of the hive.

I thought that, just looked now in the dark with achead torch & theyre still wandering in. & out despite the cold temps, i thought they would hsve dissapeared back in, maybe theres some heat coming out of there.

I thought that, just looked now in the dark with achead torch & theyre still wandering in. & out despite the cold temps, i thought they would hsve dissapeared back in, maybe theres some heat coming out of there.

Two out of my three hives are also in and out even though it is now dark, they seem unsettled rather than busy, no sign of electric storms etc. A good buzz from within the hive too, maturing honey? Or is this a daytime job?

These two are two i am expecting queen cells on my next inspection, maybe a coincidence, or could it have some influence?

Actually i think its the temperature , its almost 8 degrees , quite warm compared to lately, they have been flying in the day in those temps.

Last night at the BKA apiary, the resident SBA who was inspecting a hive, noticed a pile of some 50 bees in a heap on the ground 12" below the entrance. Examination showed that they were moving but very lethargically. They were collected and dropped into the BB and immediately revived. QED. Poor weather and cold got them - but then the apiary is badly sited as it rarely gets sun on it due to overhanging trees and shrubbery.

Out of curiosity i checked the hives at 4.45 this morning when i was up , only about 4 degrees & bees were wandering about on the landing boards of 3 hives, pretty cold but theyre up, must be expecting an early start :)

There seems to be a very happy hum coming from the hives at home with some flyers already heading out so I think they are expecting a good day. About time too.

Just been out this morning and picked up some of the bees and put them in a sunny patch..........They're now behaving a bit like I do first thing in the morning.. slowly...

Fjords.

You started it!

It's amazing how fast bees recover when they warm up.

Latest posts

Back