Sinister !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kazz ... No fairly accessible ... Combination lock, combination is fairly well known I believe, gonna try get it changed

Karol ... No unfortunately not, communal Apiary

Haachi... Now you're talking ... Though it actually is my angry hive, Devils and just united last week dispatching old queen

Ahh well... Worse things happen at sea ... I think :)

Hi BrianO,
Maybe someone who was going to dispatch of the Devils for you or steal them and thought better of it!

I personally would find that really quite disturbing. Thank the lord where we're putting ours the fences will be high and a key only entry.

Good of them to take the time to write how much your protective ladies' stings hurt though I suppose...

I think if you ask about if there's a polish beek in your communal apiary that'll probably solve the mystery.
I think you'll find its a subtle complaint about the nature of your hive.

Hopefully Beeno... Hopefully

And if they return I wish them nothing but Bad luck ... Multiple stings in the nether regions and a lifetime of tooth decay !

Originally Posted by stucat View Post
I think if you ask about if there's a polish beek in your communal apiary that'll probably solve the mystery.

I think you'll find its a subtle complaint about the nature of your hive.

Yep. This.

Fascinating !

No on both fronts, No polis Beeks have allotments, I am on comittee and know all Beeks in allotment area.

Hive is angry ONLy when opened, more so than other docile bees that barely even leave the frames sometimes during inspections. These guys when OPENED go crazy, but otherwise do their own thing.

Again Fascinating the replies that seem to think it is semi normal to open a hive and go writing notes.... Incredible.

Definitely novel, not normal, but not really sinister either. Bloody odd for sure.
I'd say , take some heart from the fact that it's pretty odd behaviour for a thief too, but I don't think it would put.my mind at ease.

Definitely novel, not normal, but not really sinister either. Bloody odd for sure.
I'd say , take some heart from the fact that it's pretty odd behaviour for a thief too, but I don't think it would put.my mind at ease.

Agreed. just a Pain in the Butt, as now need to make plans to move them , to valuable to leave for some dumb ass to steal.

It's easy to imagine the worst. It could also have been something as simple as putting the roof down without noticing a piece of damp card which then got stuck to the underside only to fall down later once it had dried out.

Your bees are angry when opened.

You have a note left for you saying don't open...

They haven't been stolen or interfered with? And they are in a public apiary...

I think you may need to investigate rather than over react.

Or find your own apiary!

Last edited:
Agreed. just a Pain in the Butt, as now need to make plans to move them , to valuable to leave for some dumb ass to steal.

Had a beek poking their head in my hives at an out-apiary site that is secured with armed guards (seriously).
Bloody annoying, and although the site owners told me it had happened, they wouldn't tell me who it was other than to say it was a well respected local beekeeper who wanted to check the type of bee being kept onsite!
Maybe they know that if I found out who it was I would not be pleased to say the least!
S

Had a beek poking their head in my hives at an out-apiary site that is secured with armed guards (seriously).
Bloody annoying, and although the site owners told me it had happened, they wouldn't tell me who it was other than to say it was a well respected local beekeeper who wanted to check the type of bee being kept onsite!
Maybe they know that if I found out who it was I would not be pleased to say the least!
S

As the Doors famously sang " People are strange " !!

Incredible ... and Incredible they wouldnt say who it was !

Why all the machismo guys?

Sorry to hear about this BrianO, whatever it is ( sinister, strange, curious, annoying ) it's not what I would call acceptable.

Stiffy,
I wouldn't call that acceptable either and I'd inform your tight lipped landlords of that and the fact that the apiary would now be shifted. That's two insults in one from them AFAIC.

Perhaps the person leaving the note is a beekeeper who was upset you (like me) use feeder boards as crown boards. After all, look at the trouble you can get into for mentioning...matchsticks.

Thanks Karol

Not sure how opening up a strapped beehive, removing the roof, and writing a cryptic note on the crown board in Polish could not be construed as sinister.

Considering it is my hive, and has been since the day the Apiary was opened two years ago. Its is actually still the original hive in the same place unmoved for two years.

If that is not strange not sure what is !

I tend to greet and discuss beekeeping with other Beek's as opposed to creeping around opening their hives and writing notes in a different language.

Not sure how you could even consider this not to be a sinister or plain weird thing to do.

Anyone got chickens on any of the allotments?

Ok, Amnesty .....

Actually went back today, met two other Beeks whose plot is closest of the plots to the Apiary, they were amazed at the goings on. Had a laugh about it too

Will probably move them , got a feeling they could be cleared of honey from supers, some frames nearly full but not capped, maybe why not nicked.

Hi Karol., No ..no hens much the pity, took two years to get the go ahead for the Bees.

my gut instinct say's he opened the hive in the hope to steal honey and in the process he got hammered from angry bee's

Actually think so too, opened them to check the Super , no probs till 30 seconds after lifting the crown board the Wham ! Hopping off my suit. Though otherwise when un disturbed no problem, just get on with doing their thing, can walk up close with no problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Excession... Apologies for the expletives ..! Uncalled for

Was bit tetchy,,, taking after my bees !

thinking someone had gone to trouble of undoing knot taken, off strap and removed roof of my hive, and been messing around with it and then left a note.

Then it really peed me off and still does thinking I might have to shift 2 hives and 3 nucs out of there ultimately.

Anyway

Back