Single frame observation 'hive'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As an impulse buy I picked up a single frame observation hive/panel thing. It should take a brood and one super, but as I'm on 14x12 I'll likely just use a brood frame.

I've been asked to show some bees at my sons school. So, what are the pitfalls?

1) I assume I take a frame out on the day and return it ASAP. How long can it be left out for if cool?

2) I'm sure they'd like to see a queen. Will removing her for an hour or two cause me problems? I don't want her balled on return or then to build cells and decide to swarm when she comes back.

Any other top tips for using the panels or showing bees to yoing children in general?

Thanks.

When I did precisely what you are intending I did the following.

I added perspex panes on both sides with a 10mm gap I think it was to avoid the glass getting smeared and broken.

Kids get VERY excited so after my first go at it and the consequent fright I screwed the ob to a very heavy chunk of wood which in turn I span setted to the allocated table. I then politely asked the teacher to help keep order... not to much avail TBH so my precautions paid off.

Safety safety and safety cos if it goes wrong guess who is to blame.... mirror time here. ;)

Never had a problem putting the queen back so no issues there whether by luck or what.

Beware of over heating though so good top ventilation (the only time you will hear me say this..LOL and have water with you for them.

PH

As with poly, but I never risk a queen, though colleagues do.
Have a cover for shading.
Travelling stability, cooling and potential problems (accident, tyre change etc) to consider. Al;so signs on car.
Have children in manageable size groups and a fixed time for change over.
Enjoy

Al;so signs on car.

Good idea, one of those that fits across the roof like they have on taxis, illuminated if you are likely to be traveling in the dark, maybe also a good idea to have loud speakers fitted for warning off any other drivers getting too close.

I always took a spray of water which I would spray through the air vents at intervals. Done many school visits. An old hand extractor with a couple of frames in, a course sieve and they could have their own jar of honey to spread on toast....... Went well, half the class spinning and half watching bees
E

Thanks everyone.

I'm visiting 3 classes of 4 - 5 year olds. Think I will suggest small groups rotating round to see the bees. Others can look at a (clean!) smoker, drawn frames etc. Attention span of a few minutes so nothing detailed!

Signs on the car...maybe not, because I'm not sure what they are warning people of or asking them to do.

I never risk a queen, though colleagues do.

Mark a couple of drones (red this year, I believe), and ask the kids how many of these coloured bees they can count.

Optionally explain that what you've marked are drones, not queens, and that beekeepers often mark queens, not drones.

I do these visits but always take a full nuc observation hive.

Never had a problem with attention span, the subject is good enough to hold it. I do a hour and half at a time and it always runs over because the kids won't go out and play or go to lunch because they are fixated with the bees.

The kids love the honey comb to feel and smell. Put the teacher in a bee suit with gloves and the smoker, the kids kill themselves laughing at the teacher.

Don't go into too much detail, queen, worker, drone explanations are good but be careful of the teacher getting their own back about the bee suit by asking you to explain mating between the queen and drones to the kids.

Varroa sucking blood always gets a good response, so does bee poo.

Most important cover the bees and save to last, once the kids can see the bees its game over as they are too excited to hear about anything else.

Be prepared to stay longer because all the staff want to come and see the bees.

Don't worry about the next visitor to the kids that day, they don't have a chance after the bees.

Cheers, Mick.

Last edited:
Back