Simon the beekeeper honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I'm looking at buying my first honey extractor and due to budget constraint (max £200) I think I'm going to have to buy a tangential. I've found a stainless steel 4 frame honey extractor sold by Simon the Beekeeper for £150, does anybody know why they are substantially cheaper than Thornes/Abelo etc? Is there a difference in material grade or from experience are they of a good quality?

R

Hi,

I'm looking at buying my first honey extractor and due to budget constraint (max £200) I think I'm going to have to buy a tangential. I've found a stainless steel 4 frame honey extractor sold by Simon the Beekeeper for £150, does anybody know why they are substantially cheaper than Thornes/Abelo etc? Is there a difference in material grade or from experience are they of a good quality?

R

I don't know anything about materials used probably made in China (nothing wrong with that).. but I dislike intensely a vertical handle...
http://tinyurl.com/y7wbe75b

Hi,

R

I’ve had one for three seasons now. I like it. There was a problem with the gearing but that was sorted out by Simon.
Go for it.

I've bought other stuff from STBK in the past & find it good quality/does the job I want it to. I've only got 4 hives & I'm away to put 2 of them on OSR very soon with 12 frame supers, would I be better to splash the extra £50 & go for a radial 6/3 honey extractor?

Get the best one you can afford,because as you progress your wish you had.

Except it's really useful to have a small extractor to deal with just one super or just a few frames.....
Don't see the point in that as you can deal with one super in a bigger extractor and won't need to buy a bigger one later.does it take longer to clean a 12 frame extractor than a 4 frame one.If it was just down to money though you would obviously buy a smaller extractor.

Hi,

R

Why not wait until the spring auctions? I bought my first brand new stainless steel 4 frame tangential for £70 some years ago at Lincoln. I assembled to find It had some sharp edges requiring a file but worked fine.
Subsequently I bought a thornes poly 9 frame radial which had a cracked top cover that I made a replacement out of clear polycarbonate. That cost £90 plus a couple of hours Labour. It's what I use now

Back