Show us Pictures of your Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee Hatching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvP91EbXD4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvP91EbXD4[/ame]

looks like it was having a good wriggle

They all do that and then wander about a bit and get groomed. They spread their wings wide and other bees clean at the base of the wings mostly.

They HATCH from eggs.

lol, well, whatever they do. I have all my own terms for beekeeping. My memory is rubbish so I find it easier. I've had my mentor laughing before now, but he knows what I mean.

They HATCH from eggs.
Was easier than putting "Bee emerging from cell made of wax where it was once a pupae and before that a lavae and orignally an egg, laid by the queen bee 2 weeks ago"

Was easier than putting "Bee emerging from cell made of wax where it was once a pupae and before that a lavae and orignally an egg, laid by the queen bee 2 weeks ago"

Don't you mean BECMWOPBLOELQ2WA
Perhaps this should be added to the acronym list.

Or just call it "Emerging Bee"

Bornnnnnnnnnnn Beeeeeeeee as free as the wind blows, as free as the - no? ok then hatch it is

Well I was going to put Emerging Bee but thought that non beeks who found it on YouTube might wonder where it was emerging from, and why, and where was it going...and why had it been there,,

Sung by Matt Mundrone
:toetap05:

Where were we? Ah yes, more baby photos:

First pic is Teasel 1 hive, motto: "when in doubt, propolise".... The grungy patch in the top right corner of their frames is left over from an Apilife var strip. These girls are Buckfast stock, or so I was told. They're good, but can be a bit Italian when it comes to headbutting me in bad weather....

Second and third pics are Teasel 2, also Buckfast but a bit more Carniolan-looking. Dads' sides of the family, I suspect. They're a very strong colony, foraging like mad and filling their National broodbox & super almost to bursting.

nice pics gardenbees...i especially like the one looking down into the brood (is it the brood? )

nice pics gardenbees...i especially like the one looking down into the brood (is it the brood? )
:grouphug:They look so snug don't they?! Actually the top bars are on a super, but it's a deep-brood-and-a-half setup, so there is some brood in there. They're still building a new comb in places (you can see a chain of bees in the picture) and filling them with stores.

I wasn't going to add a super for this winter, but they were boiling over in the brood box, and starting to make comb underneath the hive, so I gave in! The gardens around here are full of autumn flowers, plus himalayan balsam and ivy, so they're frantically busy.

Is that what they are doing when they string together? Mmmm, I didn't know that, I did wonder. Thanks.

They don't get much chance to do natural chains like that when they're drawing out foundation, but when you have top bars, you get to see them actually measuring out (I assume that's partly what the chains are for) and draping themselves around the comb in a kind of bee daisy-chain. Fascinating!

They don't get much chance to do natural chains like that when they're drawing out foundation, but when you have top bars, you get to see them actually measuring out (I assume that's partly what the chains are for) and draping themselves around the comb in a kind of bee daisy-chain. Fascinating!

I've seen them doing it dangling off the bottom of frames a couple of times.....aren't bees great :p

she's a very dark queen,is there a bit of robbing going on in that picture?,some of the bees are very light coloured.

Sorry Darren, just spotted your reply.
Their not robbing, the queen was not the mother to the colony.
Her daughters are the darker bees the tan coloured bees were just the bees I got in the package with that queen.

She then failed within 2 months and the colony built 3 supersedure cells. I then quickly transplanted two of the cells into queenless nucs as a back up. Two of the three new queens went on to mate and did well, the third failed to return from her mating flight.

Back