Should i add another BB?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Have a colony in a 14x12 which has boomed all year and still is. Took the supers off today and added apitraz. Left an empty super on top to provide more space. However reflecting on my actions I'm still concerned. There's 7-8 frames of brood still in there and im worried about room. I have a spare BB, 14X12, with undrawn foundation. Can I put it on at this late stage of the season? Should I remove the QE if I do? Will they draw the box out? I'm not concerned if they don't as it's really all about space for them. I can place a feeder on top too of course. All advice gratefully received as ever. TIA.

This time in the year I’m condensing them down into one box (my winter configuration). Q’s reduce laying now anyway.

This time in the year I’m condensing them down into one box (my winter configuration). Q’s reduce laying now anyway.
Yes they do but its bursting GuyNir. Moreover the weather is to be quite good for the next week so, at least temps wise. I'm sure the queen will slow down, hell she's no more room to lay, but for the next 2-3 weeks I'm thinking space. So, is it possible/wise to add another empty chamber?

Your call really. I wouldn’t, but I don’t see what you see… Also, unless there’s good flow, don’t think they’ll be drawing comb much.

Your call really. I wouldn’t, but I don’t see what you see… Also, unless there’s good flow, don’t think they’ll be drawing comb much.
Yeah that is my worry so I thought about feeding 1 to 1. Really don't want them to get itchy feet and do one. On the other hand I don't want to do anything to hurt them at this crucial time of the year. Grrrrgh! This is meant to be fun but mostly it's stress atm. Thanks for your help.

No way should you add that kind of void above their brood nest at this time of year. If you want to do something you could remove a frame of stores and replace with a frame of foundation. If they draw it and put brood in it you could repeat the process. You might find they just ignore it, which will tell you they are happy with what they have (switch the stores frame back in if so)

No way should you add that kind of void above their brood nest at this time of year. If you want to do something you could remove a frame of stores and replace with a frame of foundation. If they draw it and put brood in it you could repeat the process. You might find they just ignore it, which will tell you they are happy with what they have (switch the stores frame back in if so)
Thanks Boston. Then that's what I'll do. I'm maybe overthinking things too much again. Cheers

Thanks Boston. Then that's what I'll do. I'm maybe overthinking things too much again. Cheers

PS: I would put the foundation frame between the brood nest and the stores. That way they are most likely to draw it.

If you put it out on the edge of the box, beyond the stores frames, they will probably just treat it as the hive wall, and not draw it - that would just mean you have shrunk their box area, which isn't what you want.

I run and winter my colonies on a double National BBs and not had a single case of isolation starvation during winter since I changed from single to double BBs (I think the bees space between the boxes allows the bees to move within the hive without having to transit via the cold parts of the hive). My winter losses are few and tend to be down to old queens dying or to unmated late supersedure queens ie queen problems. I know some double BB beekeepers go down to a single BB for winter claiming it conserves heat. I understand that argument and do have 50mm of celotex above the crown board. I would actualy have a job cramming the bees in my large colonies into a single in september (I often unite the demaree tops down to the bottom BBS in august) and they would be hanging out or under the mesh floor if I tried reducing these down to a single. Cramming bees together can also increase CPD and stresses them out maybe with increased risk of Nosema (not had a case of obvious Nosema in decades and I do check). Maybe the cost of wintering on doubles is about a bag of sugar extra but I reckon it is worth it.

Will they draw the box out? I'm not concerned if they don't as it's really all about space for them.
Doubt it; as Guy said, without a flow (or syrup) they won't draw comb. Space above wastes heat, so best not go down that road.

You've hit the snag of the 14x12: the 41% more space it offers is often not enough. Had you been on a single BB two months ago you would have gone to DBB straight away and expanded the nest in line with need.

If you want to give temporary extra space stick an empty box of super combs under the BB. Reduce the entrance to one bee space. If they need it they'll go down, and if not, no heat is lost.

PS: I would put the foundation frame between the brood nest and the stores. That way they are most likely to draw it.
I'd go further and put a foundation frame in the middle of the nest. Wait a week and repeat. Centre of the nest is warmest and they need 35C to draw comb.

The two fluid elements - brood and nectar - are slowing and unless your flow is strong, extra occasional foundation is likely to suffice.

Don't forget that eventually the amount of bees emerging will equal the amount of eggs being layed. At this point the hive can get no larger. I too would add a box under if you feel the need. They will use it if they need to but more than likely it will remain empty. If you put drawn. Comb in they will funnel down the middle and use it anyway and then you get stuck with it until late autumn or early spring!

I run and winter my colonies on a double National BBs and not had a single case of isolation starvation during winter since I changed from single to double BBs (I think the bees space between the boxes allows the bees to move within the hive without having to transit via the cold parts of the hive). My winter losses are few and tend to be down to old queens dying or to unmated late supersedure queens ie queen problems. I know some double BB beekeepers go down to a single BB for winter claiming it conserves heat. I understand that argument and do have 50mm of celotex above the crown board. I would actualy have a job cramming the bees in my large colonies into a single in september (I often unite the demaree tops down to the bottom BBS in august) and they would be hanging out or under the mesh floor if I tried reducing these down to a single. Cramming bees together can also increase CPD and stresses them out maybe with increased risk of Nosema (not had a case of obvious Nosema in decades and I do check). Maybe the cost of wintering on doubles is about a bag of sugar extra but I reckon it is worth it.
Have also added a 2nd BB after removing the supers and it now is near fully drawn after 2 weeks & heavily populated from this year's colony. Also feeding 1to1 and they are insatiable. Very happy and be adding every evening. As a newbee should I stay happy?

Latest posts

Back