Should I add a super? Too soon?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National Hive. Five frames of sealed brood with very little larvae/eggs. Three frames of drawn comb with nectar and some capped honey. One half drawn frame of nectar/pollen. Two frames of undrawn foundation.

Should I add a super? I would have normally thought it a little early (am I wrong there), but all five frames seemed to be mostly sealed brood making me wonder if they will be very productive soon. I have a two supers of empty drawn comb ready in my freezer.

with very little larvae or eggs, and not even all the frames drawn, the last thing I'd be worrying about is putting a super on.
Is this a nuc recently put in a full hive?When did you last see the queen?

National Hive. Five frames of sealed brood with very little larvae/eggs. Three frames of drawn comb with nectar and some capped honey. One half drawn frame of nectar/pollen. Two frames of undrawn foundation.

Should I add a super? I would have normally thought it a little early (am I wrong there), but all five frames seemed to be mostly sealed brood making me wonder if they will be very productive soon. I have a two supers of empty drawn comb ready in my freezer.

When was the last time you saw the Queen.
If it was not a newly hived nuc I would be worried about the laying queen.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
with very little larvae or eggs, and not even all the frames drawn, the last thing I'd be worrying about is putting a super on.
Is this a nuc recently put in a full hive?When did you last see the queen?

It was a nuc I got at the end of the summer (Clipped and marked new queen) to get back into beekeeping after a bit of a break. Well fed in autumn. 2kg of fondant left on in January but they did not touch it at all, until early April, then they devoured it rapidly. I did not see queen today but did a week ago. I think I should probably leave them to it for a bit before I super.

Personally I would leave it a week and see. 5 frames of sealed brood will be 10 frames of bees on hatch. Next inspection check for hatching and fresh eggs and bee coverage on frames and decide then. My gut feel without seeing it is maybe 2 weeks time would sound plausible but not yet

Five frames of sealed brood with very little larvae/eggs. Three frames of drawn comb with nectar and some capped honey. One half drawn frame of nectar/pollen. Two frames of undrawn foundation.

You could try moving the undrawn foundation towards the middle of the brood nest which may encourage them to draw it and provide more laying space. Don't put them together in the middle - leave at least one frame of sealed brood between them.

Latest posts

Back