Shook Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you deliver angry colony's brood between other hives, all hives will be defensive. They got enough quarding gang from those devil frames.
Yes, I have experience from last summer, and those bees affect in hives 2 months.

It is better to keep the hive on its own and shange the queen.

:iagree:
A bailey is a bit of a protracted nuisance but much better than losing all your brood. IMHO

Bailey is better than loose brood? What?
What is that Bailey? To give foundations to the hive that they draw new combs.

Every beekeeper renew their combs even if they have never heard about Bailey.

I got some bees today, I want to shook swarm them from national into commercial should I leave them to get used to their new surroundings before shook swarming or just get on and do it?

The basic idea is that you have a colony and you want to move it to different type hive.

When the colony expands, give a new hive box under the old box. When colony has occupyed the new box, put the queen under the excluder. Bees will emerge from old combs and frames be filled with honey. Extract frames and your bees are in the new hive.

Looking at both the short and long term weather forecasts, if you need to do one then the next few days are going to be ideal for doing a shook swarm. (in the south of the UK)

Really warm for 3 days, and then 3 months of above average temperatures.

( following that I'll then put a few pennies on the probability of rain storms for Glastonbury and Wimbledon :) )

Sorry, I was just trying to ask the OP why he felt the need to remove the brood. eg. did he think varroa was high? He has mentioned that the colony is being defensive/aggressive and the combs are tight, but as we know, these are not reasons that need the removal of brood. I agree with MM, Bailey change to changes boxes and re-queening, in due course, to improve the temper!

My apologies, bontbee too

No apology needed! I didn't realise I could be subtle, either....:biggrinjester:

in the uk, temps are in the 20c and we are already on at least the second cycle of new brood here, bees are one 6 to 8 frames of sealed brood, i have some on

The white stuff on the photo of trees just taken miutes ago is not snow it is apple and plum blossom ! The fields is of 200ha of Rape taken 7 days ago, 60cm high and in bud, it is a bit late this year

I wish our temperatures were up like that, only 7C yesterday and fruit blossom nowhere near out. Daffodils are in bloom now.

I wish our temperatures were up like that, only 7C yesterday and fruit blossom nowhere near out. Daffodils are in bloom now.

Here in Glossop it's very much the same. My plum is only just budding green and damson very slow to show spring life. Loads of pollen and I notice a couple of willow out yesterday. Where in HP are you? Plan to check mine later today if the forecasted sun appears.

Back