Sheriff or BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suit type

SHERRIFF SUIT GOING ON 20 YEARS OLD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM,,HOPE TO GET MANY MORE YEARS SERVICE FROM ITbee-smillie

I agree with Msr A. I think your style of hood is probably more important than a choice between two good brands.

Astronaut hood, lies flat behind you and lets you wear it whilst travelling, less likely to get snagged on branches etc.
Round rim hood - gives much better protection, especially for a jug ear like me (stung through the side of the astro hood several times, hurts, elephant man impression only appreciated by family and friends)! But is much more vulnerable to being blown off your head / into your face by wind.

Have ended up wearing a sweat band over ears with the astro which overall I favour

Last edited:
I have got a BB1 under the chrimbo tree for me, i tryed it on to make sure i got the right size and it fits great, £98 with free gloves i hope a good investment.

I have both sheriff and BB full suites, the Sheriff is over six years old now and the only problem i have with it is the zip has started to come off when i zip it up a bit to quickly, i purchased the BB last year because i wanted to always have a clean suite to hand, and i must say it is every bit as good as the Sheriff and i feel a little better value for money, very good delivery time and very helpful staff, BB for me :) Chris

I purchased a suit from one (reputable) supplier. The ankle zip failed very quickly. The elastic thumb strap failed too. I had to re-do some of the stitching as it fell apart and the veil failed as the mesh lasted less than one season. I have a replacement veil and use it for guests only.

My Sherriff is a year old and is still good. Washing instructions are for quite low temperatures so it doesn't get clean. Without the veil it went in at 60 degrees as washed up reasonably well.

I would like knee pads though.

HOWEVER. The elasticated wrists are designed for the HUGE free gloves to go underneath. I have never used the gloves - they are for pruning a rose bush I think or for being bitten by police dogs, not day-to-day beekeeping. I modified the wrist elastic to grip around disposable gloves and my oh-so-delicate wrists. Sherriff did offer to do it for me or offer a refund I recall but I decided to save the return postage and the trip to the post-office where there is usually a miserable bat behind the counter.

picked up some BB seconds at honey show - the lightweights are great.

never liked the badge on the sherrifs!!!!

:iagree:

I use BB and find the sherriff badge emblem embarrassing.

Some say there better quality but I just can't get passed the "oohhh look at me I'm the boss" look about them, puts me right off. :)

better deal going for the overcuffs instead of the gloves with BB - good for sandwiching your rubber gloves and ensuring a good seal.

Latest posts

Back